1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI or DVI

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by EnglishJohn, Apr 17, 2005.

1. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, i have read the couple of threads that are on here but as a rule what do people think would be better over a 10m run,
    (hdmi projector)

DVI-HDMI, DVI-DVI, or HDMI-HDMI, and use an adaptor at the end as required.

I guess it all depends on dvd player or htpc.

My situation is im gonna get a sanyo z3, currently dont have a dvd player that outputs hdmi or dvi. But i may go the htpc route soon instead.

Do either type of cable have the ability to run better over longer distance, or is it just the case that the conectors are different on the ends?

Am i talking tosh? I need more sleep!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello Munkstar

In general as soon as you have a DVI connector in the signal path your more restricted than if you had HDMI at both ends of the signal path.

We provide HDMI2HDMI, HDMI2DVI and DVI2DVI copper cables up to 15m that all use the same grade of cable - its just the connectors that are different; so any differences you see on screen are down to the transmitter/receiver in your source and display kit.

If you can plan your cabling without using adapters I'd do so - saves money and potential signal drop; though keep in mind at 10m even with a decent quality cable you may still have to revert to a DVI signal amplifier.

Best regards

Joe