1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdmi or dvi

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by areuwithmee, Oct 12, 2004.

1. areuwithmee

areuwithmee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    Does DVI carry audio as well as video like HDMI?

Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no DVI is essentially the video component of HDMI (DVi-D that is)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The only use so far for the audio part is to send digital audio to the stereo speakers of a pioneer plasma. This is not a deal breaker for most people, and in addition, most DVI-D inputs will accept video resloutions, whereas no HDMI's that I know of will accept PC or plasma resolutions, meaning you can't run a plasma panel at native resolution via HDMI.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    MAW, in your experience which is the better choice for the Panasonic 7 series - HDMI or DVI-D? I appreciate their are 'issues' with both input boards but was wondering which would be the better choice with regard to compatibility with suitably equipped DVD players?

I will be looking to pair the screen with a digital video equipped Denon, Arcam or Pioneer (I understand this may not be an option due to the 575/576 issue) DVD player early in the new year. On the face of it (given it's known track record) I am tempted to go for DVI-D but am concerned about the possibility that I may not be able to stretch the picture on anamorphic titles or it's compatibility with non-progressive scan PAL sources - are these real-world issues? Can I also ask what sub-£1000 player do users normally couple with the Panasonic DVD-D/HDMI connections?

I will only be using it for video uses.

Many thanks.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My preference would be Arcam, and DVI-I board, it can do native res with a PC as well as 575. Interlaced or progressive is not a real world issue, all your digital connections will be progressive, except 1080i, which it accepts anyway. There are few picture options with digital, what's on the disc is what you get. Surely this is not an issue either?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Thanks for the reply MAW,

I was fairly sure the non-interlaced issue was a non-issue but I thought it prudent to check.

I have heard a few stories about being unable to 'stretch' an anamorphic picture to it's proper viewing shape - this coupled with various notes about not being able to control picture settings when using a DVI connection just made me wonder if there were workarounds that needed to be applied or whether it was a non-issue. I assume the latter then.