HDMI or DVI or VGA: Which gives best PQ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dadslo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Dadslo

Dadslo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi,

I recently bought my daughter a laptop which had an HDMI out connection.

She will be connecting to a 22" monitor.

In terms of best piicture quality, which connection is best HDMI, then DVI, then VGA?

Or will they all do the same job...!!!

Cheers - Kevin.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    For Picture HDMI and DVI are pin for pin compatible , so regardless of the cable the same picture signal will reach the monitor , so they are exactly the same.

Depending on whether the monitor has built in speakers , HDMI might be better because that can also do sound whereas DVI cannot.

VGA is analog , and uses a different electronics chain altogether , its still a very high quality signal and should be just as good as the other two in most cases , but because analog is subject to noise , and digital is largely immune I would go with the HDMI or the DVI.

For both DVI and VGA you need extra cables for sound ( thats assuming the 22 inch monitor has speakers , if not then you need to run extra sound cables anyway )

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. peackshelb

peackshelb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd just add one note to andy1249's post:

The audio transmitted over HDMI is a digital audio signal.

If a laptop doesn't have a separate digital audio output jack, then sending the audio out over HDMI can often be the only way to get a clean audio signal. Many laptops' analogue audio outputs (eg standard headphone jacks) are a little noisy and their internal speakers are usually an option of last resort.

HTH :)