HDMI Or Component?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by thepacifier, Jan 23, 2008.

1. thepacifier

thepacifier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi-
    I collect my new Samsung LE40M87BG 1080p lcd tomorrow, as well as the matching HTX-r200 2:1 Home Cinema system. My question is this, as i have been saving for this set for some time, coupled with having just got Christmas out of the way, my money is tight(having spent £1300). I really cannot afford to purchase expensive HDMI cables, and i have a PS3, currently connected to my old Plasma(1080i) via component.Will i need to purchase expensive HDMI cables,or should i stick with component? Would the difference be exceptional,or marginal?
    I would really appreciate your advice/comments/expertise.
    Thanks.

2. PLazarou

PLazarou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You can buy a perfectly good HDMI cable for under a tenner. If you can afford a 1080p tv, you can afford to give it a digital signal...;)

3. tvmonkey

tvmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HDMI of course.....

4. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Just to add to that component won't let you upscale normal DVD's or allow you to watch blu-ray's in 1080p. For those reasons alone it's better to go with HDMI. As already mentioned you don't need to spend a lot on an HDMI cable to get great results especially if you're using one which is 3 metres or less.

5. thepacifier

thepacifier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thankyou Moogle, I asked the question, because every time i enquire in the likes of Currys or Comet, i have been informed that i will need expensive "Monster Cables" at £70 a pop!!
    I was really unsure as to whether an expensive HDMI would give better results, than say a cheaper one at £10-£20!
    Thankyou

6. PLazarou

PLazarou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Which leads us to today's top tip - don't enquire in the likes of Currys or Comet!:thumbsup:

7. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
  8. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    HDMI without a shadow of a doubt....

No need to buy an expensive hdmi cable, with digital transmission the cables have less of an effect on video quality than they do with analog signals.

The only exceptions really are on long runs say, more than 10 feet,where high-quality cables often work better.

9. redmarkred

redmarkred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Let me cast some doubt! I honestly can not see any difference between HDMI and component on both my PS3 and 360! They both look stunning :thumbsup:

10. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    At the end of the day it's a subjective thing but also depends on what display you have. I can definitely tell that HDMI gives a better picture quality then component although it is not significant. However as I already said if upscaling DVD's in important and/or the display supports 1080p allowing blu-rays to be displayed at that resolution then HDMI is the option to go for.

11. redmarkred

redmarkred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Just to clarify I was talking about games! I don't use my consoles as DVD players.:)

12. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    My point is even with games it makes a difference. As far as the DVD upscaling and blu-ray playback is concerned it was a general comment and not aimed specifically at you. If anything it was aimed at the OP.

13. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,653
    I think argos have an HDMI cable for £4.99 at the moment. You wont notice any difference using this than you would with a £70 monster cable. It is a digital signal made up of lots of 1's and 0's this will not change depending on the cable you use.

14. TaNeR_08

TaNeR_08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    i got 3 m hdmi cable and works a treat !!(got it for 8 quid)

15. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    It really does depend on the display, some displays handle different connections better than others.

On my set there is a noticeable difference with hdmi and component.

Generally HDMI will provide a better image than component, again this can be viewed as subjective as some people wouldn't notice the difference.

I am a VIDEOPHILE though :D

16. redmarkred

redmarkred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    You can't say that for sure! You have to try both connection types to see which looks best on your display.

Here's an interesting article:

You've just bought a new HDTV, complete with HDMI connector and are delighted that you had the foresight to buy a DVD player with HDMI interface a while ago, even though you couldn't use HDMI at the time.

So you can ignore those component outputs and inputs and plug an HDMI cable between your two favourite bits of home theater kit. After all, HDMI, being all digital, is bound to be better than component, isn't it?

Well, no, actually. Not necessarily. It's true that convering a DVD signal to analog, sending it over component video and then switching it back to digital in the TV will result in a slight degradation of picture quality. And it's true that HDMI removes this issue. However, the degradation in the signal over component is virtually imperceptable and HDMI does introduce a few problems of its own.

Firstly, although DVD players "up-convert" video from 420p resolution to the native resolution of the HDTV (720p or 1080i), the signal still has to be "re-clocked" in the television before it is displayed. Some experts suggest that this re-clocking introduces more artefacts than the process of digital-to-analog-to-digital conversion. And the quality of the processor in the DVD player doing the "up- converting" is important here, if it's not up to scratch that could have a negative impact on picture quality.

Secondly, any equipment with HDMI (or DVI for that matter) connectors must support an anti-piracy measure known as HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection). This takes the form of a code which is embedded into the digital video signal when its sent from a content player, such as a DVD player, and must be de- coded by the HDTV or HD projector. This puts additional pressure on the TV's video processor with no benefit to picture quality and so could, potentially, result in a slight loss in picture quality.

Using component video connections means that no anti-piracy protection is necessary.

None of this means that you should avoid HDMI. However, it does mean that you shouldn't take it for granted that HDMI will always be better than component. The only way to find out which is best for your equipment is to try both and see which one you prefer.

Kenny Hemphill is the editor and publisher of The HDTV Tuner - a guide to the kit, the technology and the programming on HDTV.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kenny_Hemphill

17. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Ofcourse I can say that for sure. I have tried component as well as HDMI with both my PS3 and my 360 and in both cases HDMI looked better. That is the way I see it on my display. Like I said it is subjective to a certain extent. At the end of the day having a 100% digital connection with out and digital to analogue conversion will result in better picture quality.

18. redmarkred

redmarkred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I agree you can say for sure concering your own setup!

But for the OP he needs to try both to see what looks best to him on his setup. Because Component can look better than HDMI depending on what display you have.

I think we've exhausted this one now :suicide:

19. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I think you're missing my point. For someone who is interested in upscaling DVD's and/or playing blu-rays in 1080p HDMI is the only option. Considering the insignificant difference between HDMI and component unless those are not important it is better to go with HDMI.

Anyway as you say this discussion has pretty much been exhausted now so that is the last I will say on it here.

20. PLazarou

PLazarou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Indeed. And HDMI looks invariably better for games. There are only a few exceptions where Component makes films look better, but it's absolutely marginal.

21. Sulley75

Sulley75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Defo! A Comet salesman said "i have monster cables only in my house". Yes, course you do flower.

I use a HDMI cable on my PS3 that was sent by mistake from Virginmedia and i am more than happy with that. I have also read here a few times that people spend next to nothing and get fantastic results. :)