HDMI or Component

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GeoffR, Jun 21, 2005.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm looking to buy a new dvd player that complements my Toshiba 46WM48P within a max budget fo £150-00. I have read numerous threads on the virtues of the samsung hdmi players along with the panasonic s97 but it seems to me that some of you are not getting the PQ that hdmi is supposed to give. I have just read some very good reviews for the harman kardon dvd22 where the picture quality was highly praised on its component output.

Is HDMI everything its made out to be in this price range? or would I be better of with a mid quality player like the hk on component?

Advice would be much appreciated.

GeoffR

2. Coolit

Coolit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on this also, whether HDMI is mature enough or if its worth waiting and sticking with component at least for the time being.

3. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

I find using hdmi on my hd945 as my best option. Ive tried component and its very good but not quite as sharp or as much depth as the hdmi, mind you i did tweak the tv settings a bit but overall im impressed with the results. :D

4. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Where did u get your hd945 from?

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    HDMI or DVI will usually be better than Component *on the same machine*.

However I wouldn't be surprised if the HK DVD player you have your eye on does do better via component than some/many "cheap" DVI/HDMI machines.

Trouble is you'll never know unless you try 'em side-by-side.

If it were me I'd give the HK a try....PJ :)

PS the Pio 575 via component is top notch too!

6. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did some more research today both here and at other sites and there does appear to be a lot of conflicting info reagrding the latest HDMI output players.I'd love state of the art to complement my toshiba and would have already ordered a sumsung hd850 or panasonic s97 IF i hadnt read the HK 22 review.

I guess i'll follow the advice PJTX100 gave and give the HK a whirl and given that pixmania have them in stock at £129 it may yet prove to be a bargain.

Fingers crossed!!

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    and compared to the HK DVD25 available for £100 ish seconhand the 22 is pretty ropey HDMI is not "all that" but if a player has HDMI that will ofeten be better than compoennt from same player, S97 is a good example but depedning on your kit i think component is generally better PQ HDMI is designed to get your buy new DVD players, there is no reason DVD players need HDMI ouput DVD is an SD component source MPEG-2, component is perfect..........................

8. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon

you find me a good 2nd hand HK DVD25 for £100 ish and I'll buy it, but my quick look around didnt show any at that price.

Guess I dont know where to look. Thanks for the info though.

9. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After alot of testing i have Pioneer player hooked to Sony projector using Component... HDMI just did not do it for me (as Joe will tell you) - mate has same set up but using 50" plasma and HDMI was better so go figure...

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    craig is it by any chance a 50" Pioneer your mate has? if so that will be the reason, Geoff Mal just bought one from classifieds here for £100 search for HK DVD 25 and 2550 (2550 is silver 25) they pop up on ebay now and again and i know unlight was after one too they are out there, I have been chasing a mate for one for 3-4 months but he promises me faithfully that it is in his dining room waiting for me to collect.....I wont hold my breath tho

11. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Which player 868?

12. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont mean to sound like a non believer but is this true? I dont know much about this stuff but thought HDMI was better than component especially with the added advantage of upscaling to 720p or 1080i.

13. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Just to add my comments to this thread.

I have a Panasonic DVD-S97 connected to a Hitachi 42PD7200 via both hdmi and component. I prefer to watch my dvd's via hdmi, there's not a lot in it but, I find the PQ a bit sharper, more depth and more life like colours.

Having said all that, I purchased the S97 as replacement for an old Toshiba SD3109, some eight years old and in need of retirement. It was a bonus that the Panasonic had both hdmi and component output.

If I had a dvd player with component output, I guess I would have thought long and hard before purchasing the S97.

14. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    This is what the manufacturers want you to believe. At the end of the day DVD is only SD. A HDMI player will upsacle this, but it is unlikely that the scaler in the DVD player is better than the scaler in the screen, espcecially on the sub £200 players.

It is all a marketing ploy to make us part with our money. Most screens only have 1 HDMI input, so leave it spare until you have something worthy of putting in there.....SKY HD, HD-DVD etc. For standard DVD stick with component!

15. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Just thought I'd give my tuppence worth here. :)

I run a Panny AE700 from a Panny DVD97 and have compared the component output to HDMI... but both need to be setup using DVE, Avia etc. Setting up just HDMI, say, and then switching to component means many of the settings, especially contrast and brightness, are simply incorrect.

The only issues I have with the HDMI image is slight macroblocking and getting the colours to appear as nice as when using component - using the HDMI output means the "Cinema reality" feature on the PJ is inaccessible.

Generally speaking I would imagine that an older mid-priced "component-able" DVD player - Denon 2900? - will give a "better" image than a low to mid-priced "HDMI-able" DVD player - Panasonic DVD97, Denon 2910 - and vice versa. Everything being equal - which is really a contradiction of terms here - a top end HDMI image versus a top end component image would merely come down to personal preference... but the component machine is likely to be cheaper :D

16. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Surely this all comes down to implementation?

Just because you're using a digital connection doesn't gaurantee that you'll have a better quality output than analogue. Done 'properly' the digital should be better but...

That applies both on the source and the destination sides!

17. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Got it from pixmania, great value for money and no macroblocking. :smashin:

18. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm sure glad I asked before I leapt in. I will probably still go with the HK 22 as I'd prefer something with a full warranty etc and leave my HDMI conection for Sky HD when it arrives. Can anyone recommend a good component cable that doesn'tcost a fortune?

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    it doe sindeed come down to implementation at the end of the day and almost all players S97 included have better HDMI output than component, any other way and woulb be obvious you have wasted money on HDMI but if you compare denon 2900 on Component to the 2910 on HDMI you be surprised (depending on the display of course)

20. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Absolutely. I'm almost of the mind that they deliberately make the component look pants just to make you feel better about HDMI...PJ :)

21. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does this mean the scaler in my telly, a Toshiba 46WM48P, will upscale better than the player?

Whats SD stand for? and is the signal sent over component the same as a HDMI signal?

Thanks Geoff

22. camelopardis

camelopardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    geoffR - super bargain here:

Just picked up one of these quality cables from PC World

Product code : 675030. Price in store £24.99, web price £7.49. Just do a Collect at store order and then go and pick them up.

Dont be fooled with the incorrect picture of a s-video cable in the description - you will actually get a component cable!

23. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes it might do.

Standard Definition.

No, component is analog, HDMI is digital. In principle the pic via HDMI (or DVI) should be cleaner because it misses out digital->analog->digital conversion stages, but in practice it doesn't seem to pan out like that.

...PJ :thumbsup:

24. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    When I connected my S97 up via both HDMI and component I was hard pressed to tell much of difference between them. Both were outstanding. Flicking between them made the TV convulse as it reset itself for the differing inputs, but once it was settled down it seemed to me to be be pretty much of a muchness. Remember the TV will display at it's max resolution, no matter what it has to do to get it there. When you're shoving in a high quality picture in the first place chances are high you're gonna get a high quality picture out the other end.

Regards

Mark

25. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To PJ

thanks for the info, I've learnt more in the last couple of days on this forum than anywhere else

To hatchejd

thanks for the steer this seems like a bargain.

Geoff

26. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be a pain guys and probably wander off thread a bit but I've seen the Philips DVD963SA for just under a oner. Seems like a lot of player for the money. Anybody know how this compares with the HK 22?

27. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I don't know about the HK22, but I've ordered a Philips DV963 so could let you know how the component out on that compares to the HDMI on the Panny DVD97 :)

28. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark that would be great as the panny is also on the shortlist.

Geoff

29. blackwavesid

blackwavesid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hatchejd - thanks for the heads up on the component lead bargain!

I've tried comparing the DVI and Component outputs from my Sammy HD745 DVD player into my Sagem HD-D45 RP DLP TV.

DVI is crisp and sharp. Component has deeper colours but is very much darker then the DVI feed. Even ramping up the brightness only helps marginally but the pq still struggles in darker sections of films.

The contrast between to two is quite marked so I'm wondering if I've missed something.

30. dgsgc

dgsgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is anyone else finding different connections also work differently with different types of discs.

I have the HD850 hooked up to the 42pd7200 via a £20 HDMI(cable universe) and a TCI Adder comp. On dark CSI type discs the component seems to look better as it has less blocking than HDMI in the shadows. On bright discs the HDMI seems better as its slightly sharper and has more vivid colours. I have both connected at the same time and find i am watching some discs with one connection and some with the other.

Maybe my eyes are just friar tucked :zonked: