1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI or component on 42PHD8

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Singexpat, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Singexpat

Singexpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to way up whether it is worthwhile ordering an HDMI input board for the 42PHD8 for connection to my DVD player (Denon 3910).

Does anyone have any views on whether the HDMI offers any improvement over component when connecting a DVD player to the 42PHD8?

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I have the 2910 and have both component and hdmi connections and find it very hard to see which is better.....I think i'm slightly on the side of the component connection. HDMI is noisier close up but both are good from my usual viewing position.

3. Singexpat

Singexpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MEP thats really useful.

If I go the component route I can avoid having to buy an input cards as I will be able to run both my Digital cable and the 3910 through my Denon receiver (3805) and then connect to the PHD8 using a 3 RCA - VGA cable.

I would therefore only go the HDMI route if it was going to give me better results. Sounds like it might not be worth it though. Instead I can just by the HDMI card in the future if and when I get HDTV or an HD-DVD player.

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I think thats the way to go...

5. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    That's what I've done, but don't forget to buy an HDMI cable and channel it in to the wall now with your other cables, assuming you're wall mounting it!

6. Singexpat

Singexpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stand mounting the PHD8 for now but will bear this in mind if I end up wall mounting in the future!