HDMI or Analogue connection to Pioneer SC LX59 from Opp UPD 203?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by srp, Dec 10, 2017.

1. srp

srp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello All,

I have a Pioneer LX SC59 with ESS SABRE 32 Ultra Audio DAC. I have just bought for Xmas (not opened yet ;)) the Oppo UDP-203 which comes with the premium 32-bit DAC from AKM, the AK4458VN.

Should i be thinking of using the Oppo 203 analogue connectors to connect to my Pioneer amp or would you stick with HDMI?

Does anyone have this setup or any advice?

Whats the better DAC the ESS SABRE 32 Ultra Audio DAC or 32bit AKM AK4458VN DAC.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  2. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    Choices choices :)

You haven't mentioned whether this is for stereo or multi-channel music or movies but am assuming the latter two. Doh, after writing most of this mail realised the SC-LX59 does not have multichannel only regular stereo.

On the subject of which DAC is better and can I hear a difference then you may get lots of different opinions.

I bought a music streamer with supposedly a better DAC (ESS SABRE 32 Ultra in fact) than my AVR but when I did a comparison test with analog vs optical I preferred the optical version as the AVR DACs seemed more detailed and transparent for lacker of better words. However a device is more than just a DAC and other parts can alter the sound.

Then comes another few points

If you go with analog outputs, your Oppo 203 is then responsible for all DAC and processing, you have to manually setup the speakers, their sizes and looking at the manual there is no Room EQ that you would get on your Pioneer.

If you leave it via HDMI then your Pioneer does room eq and everything for you automatically.

Also quite a few AVRs took analog and then converted them back to digital before applying room correction etc. and processing so you weren't gaining much ....

I guess given my discovery, then I would stick with HDMI connection only.

If you want to test stereo as a comparison then no harm in giving it a go to see which you prefer but it will be down to your ears rather than somebody saying x or y should sound better.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    Agree with Chuck - having the 'better' DAC is only one part in a complex chain, the same DAC can 'sound' different in multiple devices depending on many other variables within the hardware.

Time to drive yourself nuts doing A-B comparisons :)

Joe