HDMI optical, Toslink cables & speaker wire

PsbakerEight2

Established Member
Reaction score
As part of a rewire of my house I’m installing the cables mentioned above. The HDMI optical is to link the TVs/AV points in my lounge and office. I’ve looked at HDMI over IP and I think HDMI optical will be a cheaper and more reliable method. Toslink is because my old Bose Lifestyle 18 uses this instead of HDMI and speaker wire is for my Bose Acoustimass satellite speakers.

My question is, what cables would you recommend for each of the above?

Hdmi fibre - hdfury
Toslink - Amazon Basics though Toslink has a technical limit of 10m, if longer than this use optical audio over cat6 extenders
Speaker - Van Damme blue 2.5mm

I’ll be running Cat7a.

Thanks for the recommendations for cables, I didn’t know there was a limit on the Toslink cable, I’ll look into the extenders.

Cat6a I hope rather than cat7a, but think we’ve been through this on another thread.

we use Blustream extenders

Cost wise it’s going to cost me about an extra £100 and I’m future proofed for a fair few years. I will fit CAT6/CAT6a plates and equipment and then if and when I need to I can upgrade. I see nothing wrong in this.

As cat7 isn’t a recognised standard and will probably disappear in the next few years not sure you are future proofing yourself in any meaningful way.
Also even if using cat6 modules etc you will need to make sure these are connected to the shielding correctly as well .
though we’ve been over this and you seem determined so will leave you to it but not what I would advise

Understood and I will be making off the cables correctly, shielding included.

I understand that it is not officially recognised but it will still transfer the data at a certain speed whether the cable as a recognised category or not.

Good luck terminating in GG45. Cat6a faceplates will render Cat7 about the same as Cat5e in performance. It’s the termination in GG45 that gives it its performance. GG45 faceplates are HUGE and cost around £50 per double socket. They stick out from the wall about 54mm or flush mounts will need 50mm back boxes to get the correct bend radius. GG45 iDCs are roughly £20 each. So a 24 port patch panel will be around £450. So 10 double sockets and patch panel will cost £1000 then you will need GG45 patch cables, they are £30 each (don’t confuse these with sic Cat7 patch cables) so add another £600 as you will need 20 so excluding the Cat7 cable itself and it’s install, £1600!!! That is an uncertified price. Whereas in Cat6 the same would cost less than £100. So £1500 for zero performance gain.

I am done now. The OP has had the experience of our advice. The rest is up to him.

HDMI - RuiPro
Toslink - Amazon Basics - Have a 15m installed, working fine
Speaker Cable - How Long is the run. This is important to get the cross section. If under 40m then any 2.5mm2 Multi strand copper speaker cable

Plan for alternatives for the toslink if 15m as this is over length for toslink , that doesn’t mean it won’t work and probably will be fine but better to plan just in case

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom