• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question HDMI/optical leads .

AV73

Novice Member
hello all, is it best to separate the picture and sound by using hdmi for picture and digital optical for sound ? The hdmi way is less cables and mess but is it as good ?
Any help would be good .

Cheers .

andy1249

Distinguished Member
For what content?
If your talking about movies on Blu Ray/DVD or music titles on bluray or DVD then HDMI all the way.
Optical or more specifically the SPDIF interface does not have the bandwidth to carry the lossless soundtracks like Dolby Tru HD or DTS MA audio found on Most Blu ray titles, so you would be limiting the players capabilities by using optical.

AV73

Novice Member
For what content?
If your talking about movies on Blu Ray/DVD or music titles on bluray or DVD then HDMI all the way.
Optical or more specifically the SPDIF interface does not have the bandwidth to carry the lossless soundtracks like Dolby Tru HD or DTS MA audio found on Most Blu ray titles, so you would be limiting the players capabilities by using optical.
Thanks for the reply . I will be using a onkyo sr605 , ps4 , blu-ray player , sky hd box and maybe getting the Samsung 55js9000 soon . The Samsung comes with the one connection box . So hdmi is best for movie sound and the optical is best for stereo music sound ?

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Not quite

As said by Andy1249 and reasons stated, for blu rays, dvd, general viewing from skybox etc - HDMI.

If the music source only has an optical for audio output, you have no choice but to use optical cable but HDMI could be used for both if using, a) AVR, and b) if the source used for music has hdmi output, e.g. blu ray/dvd player, media streamer, pc/laptop with a sound card that has hdmi output. When it comes to stereo, both HDMI and spdif can carry the same data.

If using say, a blu ray player for cd's with an AVR, you could still use hdmi, spdif or if the dac is better in the blu ray player and if the option is available, use the player stereo analogue output and use phono/Interconnect cables. A lot of CD players have a spdif and stereo outputs, so it be down you to decide which is better to use.

Since those with the greatest wisdom decided that it be great to remove all analogue audio outputs, Optical is also fast becoming the only way for a lot of current tv's to connect to a stereo amp for those who want to improve the tv sound, but do not want or wish to have an avr. Connection is made via a ext dac but of recent years, more stereo amps are coming out with digital inputs, so no need for a ext dac.

Since you will be using the Onkyo AVR, all the sources you listed can be connected by hdmi.
What will you be using for music if it's not on that list?

AV73

Novice Member
Not quite

As said by Andy1249 and reasons stated, for blu rays, dvd, general viewing from skybox etc - HDMI.

If the music source only has an optical for audio output, you have no choice but to use optical cable but HDMI could be used for both if using, a) AVR, and b) if the source used for music has hdmi output, e.g. blu ray/dvd player, media streamer, pc/laptop with a sound card that has hdmi output. When it comes to stereo, both HDMI and spdif can carry the same data.

If using say, a blu ray player for cd's with an AVR, you could still use hdmi, spdif or if the dac is better in the blu ray player and if the option is available, use the player stereo analogue output and use phono/Interconnect cables. A lot of CD players have a spdif and stereo outputs, so it be down you to decide which is better to use.

Since those with the greatest wisdom decided that it be great to remove all analogue audio outputs, Optical is also fast becoming the only way for a lot of current tv's to connect to a stereo amp for those who want to improve the tv sound, but do not want or wish to have an avr. Connection is made via a ext dac but of recent years, more stereo amps are coming out with digital inputs, so no need for a ext dac.

Since you will be using the Onkyo AVR, all the sources you listed can be connected by hdmi.
What will you be using for music if it's not on that list?
I listen to music through my apple tv box , sky box or FM radio through the amp . I don't really do cd's indoors . My problem is that my onkyo doesn't have enough hdmi inputs , so that's why I've been using both cables to spread them between the TV an amp . I did try a hdmi splitter once but didn't get on with it , I think it was a cheap one .

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom