tmof

Novice Member
Reaction score
Good evening fellow audiovisual obsessives !

I need some help & advice please. I have just had a major result due to some amazing customer service from Sony. About four & a half years ago I purchased a KD-65A1 OLED. At the beginning of the year I noticed some picture degradation towards the centre of the screen which would appear to due to the red pixels losing some of their colour (started noticing green flesh tones etc).

I raised this with Sony (I had a 5 year warranty) & they advised me that they could offer me an A8H as a replacement.

I queried this with Sony as I felt that it was not quite a like for like replacement & that an A9H would have been more appropriate as I was worried the A8H might be a little dimmer.

Sony advised that they did not have any A9H's that they could offer me & that the next option (an A80J) was not available either.

I was ready to admit defeat when they offered me an A90J (new) as a replacement, I almost fell of my chair, kudos to Sony for making me one happy customer.

I am now faced with a conundrum that I was not expecting. As the A90J has HDMI 2.1 ports & is capable of 120hz & VRR refresh rates I need to find myself a new AVR Receiver capable of handling this.

The issue I have is that I have a slim TV stand (only 14.5cm deep) I am restricted to the one that I can chose. I am looking at the Marantz NR1711 (I only have to drive a B&W MT50 surround set up) as I previously had a NR1607 AVR.

Now this only has the one HDMI 2.1 equivalent input & I have both a PS5 & an Xbox Series X. I am therefore unsure whether to purchase a switcher (messy) or to put the PS5 into the AVR & the Xbox Series X into the TV using one of the two HDMI 2.1 ports utilising the TV/AVR's eARC capability in the other port to feed the sound back into the amp & surround speakers. Was planning on using the QED performance HDMI cables as they are slightly cheaper that the Audioquest Forset equivalent,

I also have a Hue Sync Box a gradient Light strip & a couple of Hue Play bars & have decided to wire them into Zone 2 as the Hue Sync Box cannot cope with a full 4k signal at 120hz.

Is there a more elegant solution or any other equipment that can resolve the limited HDMI 2.1 port issue on the AVR received please.

I am lucky to have this issue but would like to resolve it with the help of some clever fellow audio visual enthusiasts !

There are now multi-port HDMI 2.1 switches on the market like this 4 port with IR remote.

I'd leave the consoles direct into the switch/TV and ARC for audio, that leaves only using the IR remote of the switch to cycle between consoles.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm in a similar position.

Recently purchased an LG C1, and I'm looking to take advantage of 4K 120 VRR. I'm only looking at a 2.1/3.1 set up, and deciding what AV receiver to buy. The options are limited as far as the newest receivers that don't have the 2.1 bug.

However, I only require 1 device (PC) to support 4K 120 VRR. For this, could I just connect the PC direct to the LG C1, and then connect the C1 to the av receiver via EARC? Or even optical?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom