1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdmi network

Discussion in 'TVs' started by gavinp, Jun 10, 2005.

1. gavinp

gavinp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to upgrade all my tellies to HDMi. Currently SKY+ is used in every room over coax.

Has anyone experience of replacing their coax network with an HDMI one, and then I presume you won't be able to use the IR eye over that network, so that will require a separate IR network.

g

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Main difference is that HDMI only carries a single video signal - whereas coax carries all the analogue channels, the digital terrestrial channels AND modulated analogue outputs from Sky boxes.

I don't think HDMI is designed to be distributed in the same way as RF co-ax - and AIUI HDMI outputs can only feed a single display as they handshake with each other for the HDCP encryption to work?

Instead I think the suggested route would be to have a Sky receiver in each room, and instead of routing HD around the house, routing LNB feeds?

This is one of the reasons that wideband RF digital video distribution systems (effectively digital video senders) are being developed...

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    and dont forget HDMI is a pre terminated cable and logest is 20m (thats £800+) so replacing Coax with HDMI is not going to be feasible for most, the SAT LNB will still connect to the Box via coax so if you replace each STB with an HD STB you will be fine, makes me wonder about RF2 type outputs on the HD box................tho what about people who upgrade from Sky+ to HD but want sky in bedroom? i guess a multiroom box is the answer.........

4. gavinp

gavinp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this must be really bad news, well it is to me. I really do not want to pay sky any more than i currently do (1 box) and it is really nice seeing the contents of the sky+ Hard Drive in any room of the house. Are you seriously saying you won't be able to do this? To me this is the real USP of the sky+ box, otherwise you might as well get a normal pvr.

g

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - though the current RF2 system is limited in picture and sound quality and doesn't come close to delivering RGB SCART levels of quality (or stereo audio for that matter). Routing RGB + Stereo Audio around a house is non-trivial currently.

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    HDMI can carry 5.1 or higher. So it could be possible. Just not right now. Besides i heard that an even newer standard better than HDMI is said to be in the works.

Still in order to get HDMI working we will need switch hubs and such. Bandwidth wise it could handle all the information. Its far higher than Coax.

7. gavinp

gavinp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    surely Keene will come up with something?

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the kit to do this is available but expensive!!!!! if you want it done speak to MAW or JoeF for a quote but for 4 screens on HDMI around the house, 10+ m from cetral point to each room control etc i would be very surprised if you got change out of £3k

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    Hello all

Horny send me the £3K - I can have some beer on the change :)

HDMI cables - current we have 15m copper cables from stock (SRP £220.28) with lengths up to 31m (SRP £367.50) due next week.

See http://www.bettercables.com/31me1febecad.html

HDMI over CAT5 and HDMI over Optical - we can also supply kits that take HDMI up to 91m (SRP £705.00).

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2484

HDMI Distribution - we have 1:2, 1:4, 2:2, 4:2, 6:2 and 2:8 Digital Hubs; some are DVI (with HDCP) and some are HDMI; with HDMI versions of the DVI units arriving every other week.

The 8:2 unit has an SRP of £916.00 - see http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2085

Lots of options - and lots of new kit filtering through all the time.

Keep in mind the DVI kit is video only - unless it states DVI + Digital Audio and the same goes with some of the HDMI kit - not all of it is Full HDMI, some is HDMI Video only.

Best regards

Joe