• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

hdmi media player with 5.1 ac3 mkv support

neuro99

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a media player which can play MKVs with AC3, that can either passthrough, or work well with my Yamaha AV receiver.

I'm not really interested in network/streaming capability, I would prefer if it could play these files smoothly. DTS support would also be nice

It's not really clear from my research with players like WD, cyclone, habitat, if they can do this specifically. Which one would be a good choice?

Thanks

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I would be surprised if there is one that can't.

neuro99

Standard Member
I would be surprised if there is one that can't.
Sorry, I meant one that can passthrough or output 5.1, I've heard some downmix to stereo etc.

XBMC is also another which I am looking at but really I'm quite new to this area, so not entirely sure what to go with

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Yes, I meant passthrough or downmix.
XBMC can and my PCH A-400 can do both.

neuro99

Standard Member
Still trying to figure this out for certain. I appreciate what has been said above, however I would like to draw attention to the following post:
Sumvision Cyclone Micro 3

Appears to suggest that audio over HDMI is downmixed for some formats, I need an alternative which would not do this

Thanks

neuro99

Standard Member
Good point. In fact, that is exactly what I used to do before my ps3 packed up. The only thing with this is, I am hearing that ps4 or xbox one will be bringing out mkv support soon, so wanted to wait to see what materializes if I am going to spend money on a new console might as well be that

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Problem with a PS3 or PS4 is Cinavia copy protection.

If you try to play a copied disc that has it, it won't.Most media streamers will play a DTS track fine, it's only HD audio some have issue with.

Last edited:

neuro99

Standard Member
Can you recommend any that will do the above?
As I'm going to be using an AV receiver with it, I would imagine it would have to passthrough the audio for me to get the best 5.1?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
If it's just AC3 then a WDTV is the simple option.

If you're looking for something with a nicer interface then hooking something up to your router and going down the route of XBMC, with a Celeron Intel NUC for example, would be my choice.

Note that you'd probably get more answers to this in the media streaming area of the forum.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom