• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

hdmi matrix with optical inputs

tonysss13

Standard Member
I have a set up with one plasma and soon to be installed projector in another room. I am looking for as matrix so I can have my ps3, xbox, sky hd & apple tv connect to either or both at any time. there seems to be plenty of matrixes about but none with optical inputs. does anybody have any suggestions or solutions?

thanks in advance

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What would you be wanting to do with the Optical Input?

What audio system do you use in the TV room?

What audio system do you use in the Projector room?

Joe

tonysss13

Standard Member
What would you be wanting to do with the Optical Input?

What audio system do you use in the TV room?

What audio system do you use in the Projector room?

Joe

Hi Joe

I am using a bose lifestyle 28 in the TV room, currently I have a ps3, xbox 360, apple tv and sky hd going into a thor hdmi switch and feeding the bose with hdmi & optical audio.

I haven't yet purchased the audio system for the projector but it will most probably be powered by one of the Denon Av 7.1 recievers

I am under the impression that to play dolby surround sound the audio connection has to be optical, certainly with sky HD. please tell me if I am wrong as I'm no expert although there is no HDMI input into the bose system hence I am using optical.

thanks

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello tonysss13

HDMI audio gets tricky as different Source devices offer you different options!

SKY HD supports 2.0 LPCM (stereo) over HDMI + simultaneous DD over Optical.

PS3 offers you 2.0 up to 7.1 LPCM over HDMI or DD over Optical but not both at the same time!

Apple TV supports 2.0 LPCM (stereo) over HDMI + simultaneous DD over Optical.

Xbox360 offers you 2.0 up to 5.1 Bitstream over HDMI or DD over Optical but not both at the same time!

So splitting one or all of your Sources to two rooms/systems has to take notice of how you plan to use the system in terms of simultaneous viewing/listening.

Joe

tonysss13

Standard Member
Joe
thanks for that I wasn't aware of the differences

I would rarely have both on simultaneously I am just after the flexibility of being to able to use each piece of kit wherever i want without having to pull out cables

I guess I could buy a matrix without optical and forego dd on the apple tv & sky hd. or I have seen some composite video matrix's with optical audio and just run the audio through that and the hdmi through the other

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello tonysss13

It is usually possible to arrive at a working solution for most requirements - though with some sources you do have to revert to making some manual audio adjustments depending on how and where you are viewing/listening to that source.

It is possible to combine multiple switch units where a single unit isn't available to cover every requirement.

An Analogue HD Matrix (with multiple digital audio inputs/outputs) is a more flexible solution for many system's - NeoPro® - Professional Grade Video Products for Custom Electronics Designers and Installers

Joe

JonJ

Hi,

I've just had a Professional install and it included the following switchbox:

Gefen Inc. - 6x2 HDMI Switcher

The box has two mirrored HDMI outs, plus a single Toslink optical out. I'm not tried using the optical, so have no idea how it works, but if you only need one alternative output it might help. However, I'm not sure it will work to two outputs on anything else but HDMI - but it might be worth a look.

The box is working great with Sky HD, PS3, Xbox, AppleTV and Blu-ray.

Solublepeter

Standard Member
Hi,

The box is working great with Sky HD, PS3, Xbox, AppleTV and Blu-ray.

I know this is an old thread, but I thought it important to note that this solution will only give you stereo from the Sky HD box (certainly true for Sky+ HD, although newer Sky HD boxes, as used for multiroom installs, will do 5.1 over the HDMI output, the Sky+ HD box wont)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom