HDMI matrix to go with Onkyo (576) receiver

bryanchicken

Novice Member
Hi all,
has anyone got any advice on an HDMI matrix with at least 2 outputs that i can use with my onkyo 576 receiver?
I'd like the hdmi output from the receiver to be one of the inputs on the matrix.

I've currently got a plexus model (from ebuyer, about £40) but any output from the AVR via the switch produces fuzz/flashing picture/red screen etc etc.
If i run the AVR output to the TV directly its fine, so it seems my AVR is functioning properly (phew).
If i run individual things (eg, sky, xbox) through the switch rather than the AVR then its ok too, so it seems like its an incompatibility between the AVR and the switch.

Ideally i don't want to pay more than £80. If it can get one similar price as the plexus then that would be great.
Is anyone successfully using one with an onkyo AVR as one of the inputs?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Unfortunately your AVR test doesn’t account for the possibility that the AVR doesn’t carry Firmware that will work with a Switch or Distribution Amp between the AVR and the Sink (Display or Projector)!

You may find you will require a Matrix with better EDID and HDCP handling to get things working – though the features you require don’t appear on too many low cost units; 4 x 2 HDMI Matrix Router switch. 3D ready, 1080P. Route 4 different HD video sources to any 2 HD displays with Digital Optical Audio output. 1RU mount

Joe

bryanchicken

Novice Member
Thanks Joe, that helped a lot.

With that info I opted against an rma on the matrix as if m understanding correctly it could happen on any of the cheap ones (can't afford an octava).

Instead I've re-jigged and put the amp after the matrix. It does mean I can't have 5.1 while "zone 2" is on but that's not a biggie.

Thanks again

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You can have problems with pretty much any Matrix on the Output side of an AVR – the better units have EDID and HDCP ‘modes’ to help you resolve conflicts.

Zone B Spk. out on most AVR won’t work with signals Input via HDMI and usually require a separate ‘analogue’ stereo (2RCA) connection between the Source and the AVR.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom