HDMI matrix switching / HDMI over cat5

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jonnyt, Dec 20, 2006.

1. jonnyt

jonnyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there,

I'm currently putting together a design for a client, initially we were going to use belden 7710 in the walls for the component video signal, but i feel a bit bad about leaving all that expensive cable in the wall when we're on the brink of changing over to full hdmi (and using a kramer switcher)

Anyhoo. i'd like to impliment a hdmi switching matrix, i can only currently find 4x4 units (coupled with gefen hdmi over cat5e) (all made by gefen) we need have 6 outputs + a dedicated cinema room (not enough budget to stretch to building that). my design currently has multiple cat5 to every conceivable location so that isnt an issue.

does anyone have any thoughts on alternate units other than the gefen? we're looking to spend around 2k on the video switching system.

thoughts / comments please,

thanks,
    Jonathan

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Hello jonnyt

The Gefen kit works very well and can be mixed and matched with other brands.

There are a few other solutions appearing - though not had a chance to give them a decent test as yet.

An Analogue Matrix is much less costly than Digital - and for many is possibly the more stable and flexible option; see http://www.neothings.com/Borrego.html

Best regards

Joe

3. jonnyt

jonnyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Joe - thanks for coming back to me,

my current design is to use a product from neothings (i emailed you a while back for pricing!)

my problem arrises as getting the image to the screens isnt a problem, but getting sound to them is, i've spec'd belden 7710a as the coax, but i also need to get a stereo audio signal to the screens, i've spec'ed a russound cav6.6 for multi-room audio and cctv distro'. but thought about using the cav 6.6 (audio) coupled with the borrego (video) to distro' the sky/dvd/htpc/sms 3 server/etc.

i'd rather use cat5 + dongles to send an appropriate signal over cat5 than leave the 7710a in the wall (its expensive cable, whereas dongles could be sold)

but currently i've spec'd 7710a in the walls with an additional stereo audio cable to which would connect to the tv's L+R RCA input, however, i'd like to use hdmi due to it single connector for both audio & video and its 'the high tec' choice

any thoughts on how i can distribute a good quality picture (hence component / hdmi) + a stereo audio signal as the screens dont have a digital input (or at least i dont think they do..(thinking out loud))

regards,
    Jonathan

4. jonnyt

jonnyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5