HDMI matrix setup help

dunny4321

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to the forum, and need help.

I’m currently building my house. I’ve put plenty of cat 6 cable in, at least 3/4 to each tv, plus co ax. All cabling goes back to central node/plant room.I plan to have cctv nvr, Apple TV at this location. I’ve been advised to have sky q box’s near tv locations. Plan on getting a hdmi matrix, splitters but struggling how best to set it up, and what I need.

i want the following areas to have access to tv:
open plan kitchen dinner to have 2x TVs playing the same video/picture, with 1 Sky q mini box
master bed to 2x TVs playing the same video/picture with 1 sky mini box
lounge to have 1 tv with sky main box.

im hoping to access Apple TV/cctv from all TVs.

any help, would be gratefully receive. Thanks

There was a time when a Matrix was the obvious solution for whole house AV - now, not such an obvious choice.

Stick the SKY Q Main box plus an ATV 4K in the primary zone then SKY Q Mini plus an ATV 4K in each secondary zone and split locally where you have two TV’s showing the same image.

You don’t say what your plans are for audio in each zone?

Joe

Thanks Joe. I have Loxone speakers throughout, fed from the central node via miniserver / audio server for music. Probably going with a Sonos sound bar for tv.

With 2 TVs playing the same, do I just split it at the central node? Matrix > splitter > 2xtv

Thanks

As per my initial post it makes no real sense to ‘home run’ everything to/from a Central hub - you are simply adding cost, complexity and potentially downgrading video signals for no gain.

The multi-room music you can leave stand-alone and if required you can send the CCTV HDMI Out over CAT to each zone using low cost extenders, the alternative option is to access the CCTV on mobiles and tablets!

If I follow correctly I would consider:

Lounge
Smart TV
SONOS Soundbar
SKY Q Main box
Apple TV 4K

Kitchen/Diner
Smart TV x2
Soundbar (or AVR) x1 or x2 x0?
SKY Q mini box
Apple TV 4K
HDMI 2x2 Matrix
HDMI cable from Matrix to both TV’s

Master Bed
Smart TV x2
Soundbar (or AVR) x1 or x2 x0?
SKY Q mini box
Apple TV 4K
HDMI 2x2 Matrix
HDMI cable from Matrix to both TV’s

In the 2 x 2 TV zones are you planning to have a Soundbar (or AVR) for both TV’s, a Soundbar for one TV or no Soundbar?

Keeping the kit ‘in room’ keeps control simpler too - esp with devices such as ATV which use Bluetooth!

Joe

Thanks Joe. Unfortunately, I’ve already created a central hub. My bad, I thought that was the way to do it. all cat6 goes from tv points back to a switch panel. I was going to have the following:
Lounge
Smart TV
SONOS Soundbar
SKY Q Main box
Apple TV 4K
as you suggested, everything fit in the tv area.

Kitchen/Diner
Smart TV x2
1 tv with SKY Q mini / Apple TV behind With cat6 going back to central hub to matrix then cat6 going to other tv to replicate picture.

Master Bed
Smart TV x2
1 tv with SKY Q mini / Apple TV behind With cat6 going back to central hub to matrix then cat6 going to other tv to replicate picture.

i was thinking of having a 2x hdmi splitter but I’ve read they don’t work with switch panels?

thanks again

In the zones with 2x TV I would fit the SKY Q mini and ATV 4K plus a 2x2 Matrix behind one TV with one Output of the 2x2 going into an HDBT ‘over CAT’ Extender Transmitter (TX) back to your Comms cupboard.

I would make a direct connection in the Comms cupboard between the CAT cable the TX is using and the CAT cable which goes back out to the second TV in the zone and add an HDBT Receiver (RX) at the rear of the second TV.

Effectively the two piece CAT cable (zone > Comms then Comms > zone) becomes a direct connection between TV1 and TV2 using an HDBT Extender (you will potentially require support for 4K UHD with HDR if your TV’s support it).

That should avoid/minimise any delay/sync issues between TV1 and TV2.

Joe

Crikey, it’s quite complicated. Joe, is there any brands/models you’d recommend based your suggestions above. Thanks in advance

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom