Question HDMI Matrix requirements

dantheman213

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

My partner and I are currently in the beginnings of extending our property and I'm looking for some clarification on the cabling requirements, and hardware to support the output of TV feeds to multiple destinations.

During the extension work we also plan to re-wire the property, so I'll be taking that opportunity to run Cat6 Cabling throughout, and centralising everything from an A/V perspective. Initially, there will only be 2 Televisions around the house; one in the lounge (with 5.1 surround) and a single unit in the Kitchen, we may add others in the future as the family grows.

I'm also looking to run a single Coax to each of the locations where the Televisions are as a backup. Input wise, we currently have Freeview, Media Box and a Blu-Ray player. Obviously I'll be adding in an AV Receiver at some point for the surround sound, this may be later on down the line when finances allow.

I think I understand that I'll need some sort of HDMI Matrix to provide this, I'm just not entirely sure on my options. I've read that some require all the TVs to have matching Sound output (which won't be the case for us), so I was looking for a little clarification on that if possible. Would this be the case if I went with a Matrix system?

Many thanks

As HDMI can only carry one type of audio Stream at a time then once you have multiple zones with different capabilities this causes issues. All matrixes will have the same issue

A number of ways around this

1. Make sure the other TVS (not in 5.1 zone) will downmix a 5.1 HDMI input to stereo
2. Add 5.1 Soundbars to other TVS
3. Locate the 5.1 AVR centrally and connect sources via coax or Optical rather than HDMI, and set HDMI to stereo

Seb

Thanks Seb, much appreciated. So looking at the options, I'm assuming Option 1 is something that would be done via the television, given that the none 5.1 unit would be a new purchase is this something handled by most televisions or only certain higher spec units?

Option 2 I had considered, but obviously this adds costs to each television we have or may have in the future.

From a Matrix perspective, is there a particular unit you would recommend?

Yes option 1 is down to tvs and just a question of asking not always the most expensive

I would of course recommend our own, sorry!!

HDBaseT

Also run at least 2 CAt6 to each room and ideally 3 or 4.

Seb

Great, thanks - Looks like I best get saving quite a few more pennies!!

Yeah, plan will be to put 4 x Cat6 to each of the Televisions. I'll probably run 2 back to a patch panel and terminate the other 2 with RJ45 connections to go straight in to the matrix

Sorry just noticed you say your sources are Freeview, media box and BluRay.

Freeview would normally be handled by the TV via the coax aerial connection
Not sure what the model of the Media box but stored media would be better be streamed to the SMartTV function on the TV via the network.

So in actual fact you only have one source for the matrix which is the BluRay, in which case a matrix is over the top and maybe a HDBaseT HDMI Over Cat6 spliter may be better

HDBaseT 4 Way HDMI Splitter Over SIngle Cat5 6

If I was to run multiple devices through a Receiver, and then connect the Receiver in to the 1/4 HDMI Splitter I'm assuming I'd still have the same end result.

Just need to check the receiver , I assume your mean avr, passes audio out of its Hdmi out

Yeah, AVR.

So, multiple HDMI device inputs into AVR, single HDMI output from AVR into HDMI Splitter for distribution.

You've lost me on local output. I'm a bit of a noob on all things AVR related.

I assume you have a local TV near the avr as well as the remote ones

No, was hoping to centralise everything under the stairs. Televisions would be wall mounted on their own.

Always best to split before rather than after the AVR or audio is going to potentially become an issue.

I would separate out your Pre-wire (providing full future proofing) and what looks like a relatively simple 'split' to the Kitchen TV.

Do you require anything other than Freeview in the kitchen?

Joe

Audio takes a bit of planning if only one Zone is going to support 5.1 - you potentially need to 'limit' the Audio going into to AVR to DD/DTS (via Optical or Coaxial) or rethink the audio out in the other zones to allow you to take advantage of the the Lossless HD audio a Blu-ray can Output via HDMI to a compatible AVR (the solution being to include an HD audio capable AVR in each Zone)..

What you start out with (in terms of AV Distribution) will as ever be down to budget and may simply be scrapped/replaced once your budget allows you to fulfil your 'master' plan.

Joe

We have had success with using the HDMI out on some AVRs as input into the matrix as they downmix the audio to stereo.

Long term, my ideal scenario would be for a 5.1 solution in our lounge, and then any further televisions around the house (2, maybe 3 max) would all just use the standard audio output from the television itself. Keeping all A/V devices in a centralised location away from all the televisions.

Pretty standard requirement which then requires:

Sources via HDMI to a Matrix - Matrix Output over CAT to multiple Zone Receivers/TV's.

Sources via Optical to AVR - AVR connected to 5.1 Speaker system.

The above 'limits' you to DD/DTS - if you want HD Audio from a BD you will require a Player with Dual HDMI Out or a dedicated player direct to the AVR via HDMI.

If you want IR control of the AVR via the IR pathway the 'over CAT' Matrix provides you need to ensure the Matrix has Broadcast/Global IR in addition to Routed IR.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom