• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI Matrix - Lifespan ?

Ian T

Standard Member
I need to ask what may seem an obviously question to some, but I cant find an answer.

I've been looking at the likes of : Octava HDMX48CAT-UK 4x8 HDMI CAT6 Matrix Switch

Which looks like an ideal unit, 4 HDMI in, to any out etc. My concern is that isnt HDMI 1.3 (as per what they support on the specs) already supersceded by 1.4 for 3D ? Isnt it therefore likely that higher frame rate 3D will be another revision and so on ?

i.e, would I not be spending a grand+ on a matrix that could quickly become out of date ?

My alternitive could be to use an RGBHV switcher that I already have, and decentralise the top end fancy 3D stuff etc, but I'm a big fan of centralising everything wherever possible....

My sources and outputs arent universally digital or analogue, so there'll be some transcoding of signals no matter what I do

Thoughts anyone ?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI hardware Revision 1.4 introduced a new set of supported features – some require all new Silicon; others don't.

Look for Feature's rather than Version support - http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

The Octava HDMX44-UK, HDMX44CAT-UK and HDMX48CAT-UK all support 3D – though you have to fully understand what ‘supporting' 3D means when you have a mix of 3D and non-3d Display devices.

Joe

Last edited:

Ian T

Standard Member
Thanks to Joe and Jamie.

I am considering both products, although being from Yorkshire, 10% discounts always make things seem more attractive.. :smashin:

I dont feel overly reassured about future compatibility though.

I think I need to see if there are online versions of the user manuals to fully understand how they work, with which devices and how audio etc is handled, then I'll no doubt have further questions... :)

Member 319784

Feel free to give our office a call on 0844 351 0190 where a member of staff will be able and happy to answer any questions you may have. If you also tell them your email address they'll happily send you a pdf copy of the manual also.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The only bit of your intended connectivity Network that will be truly ‘future proof' will be the Conduit the cables run in and to a large degree the CAT6 cables you choose to run the Extended signals over (for now the industry seems to have settled on CAT6 as the low cost, relatively simple to install, ‘transmission line' of choice) – all of the electronics will be ‘quickly' superseded; though how quickly you ‘need' or chose to follow the latest trend will be your shout!

HDMI is in its infancy and were already steaming our way towards HDMI 1.5 (whatever that will be) and in reality there is very little ‘real world' support for most of the features introduced under Rev 1.4 – and for the most part they are way to tricky to attempt to implement on a ‘network' of connected devices.

Key question at this stage (in terms of the latest trends) is how you want to support/implement 3D – the straight forward solution being to install all 3D enabled Displays; though other than Sports Bars were not seeing that as the norm yet from our End User and Installer customer base.

Mixing 3D and non-3D Displays is complex when you have a Matrix involved – with a bit of support (telephone and email) most folk can get it going – though sometimes its handy to have an ‘approved' Installer on standby just in case.

Most (if not all ) of the Octava Installer Guides are available on-line – though there is only so much you can cover in a manual. We spend a lot of our time talking folk through Source device configuration settings - which you cant really cover in a Matrix Manual.

You are correct to do your research and planning now – aim to keep your system as simple as your requirements will allow it.

4x4 HDMI Ethernet Cat 5/6 Matrix switch. 3D support. Route 4 HD video sources to 4 HD displays. Switch 256 combinations over HDMI or Cat 5/6 Ethernet cables

Joe

Ian T

Standard Member
Thanks Joe, your help is appreciated.

Is it fair then to say that 3D itself is also in its infancy ?

I wonder if I'm better off with a simple, 2D matrix design, with a local 3D bluray player on the only screen that I current forsee as having any use for being 3D ?

Presumably, 3D will see great changes over the next 12 to 18 months, and maybe at that point its time to invest in 3D throughout.

If I stick with centralised 2D only for the time being, I may as well stick with the 8x8 RGBHV switcher I have over coax, and leave the Cat6 in place to the screens also for future proofing.... ?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The current ‘active' Glasses 3D delivery system is in its infancy – 3D has been around for ages!

There really isn't much difference between a 3D enabled and a non-3D enabled Matrix – it ‘only' requires a certain chip type plus the required firmware to handle the 3D EDID.

It certainly makes things simpler if you only have a single 3D Source and one 3D Display if you connect the 3D Source direct to the Display with the Display also connected to your 2D Sources via the Matrix.

As you move forward if your Matrix is 3D enabled it's going to allow you to add additional 3D Displays into the system and then route your 3D Sources via the Matrix.

The big move in the 3D world will be to glasses Free 3D – though the underlying delivery system won't change for that.

The only drawback with an Analogue HD Distribution system is the reliance on devices to break HDCP where you have an all-digital (HDMI) Source device.

There is plenty of support for analogue HD over your Twisted Pair cables - NeoPro® - Professional Grade Video Products for Custom Electronics Designers and Installers

Joe

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom