HDMI Matrix and Home AV receiver

sacvegas

Novice Member
Reaction score
HI all,

Has anyone heard of, or seen a setup with a HDMI Matrix and AV Receiver?

I have a Denon AVR-S750H Receiver. 7.0 Speaker Setup (No Sub) and life is good.
I control the Cable, Computer and PS4 to my 4k HDR TV.The Receiver and TV both have Arc suppport.

But I'm crazy and have decided I want a second TV. Ill place them side by side on the wall.
I want the ability to put any of my devices up on either screen.
Everything is together in one room.

So I just purchased the Orei HD-602 Matrix. (Also has Arc Support)
I want to be able to user the Receivers Audio as I have 7 Speakers, why not use them.
I know i wouldn't be able to have 2 TV's spitting out sound at the same time to the receiver/speakers. Id be happy to have the ability to click through the Matrix and put the screen I want on the Receiver's channel. The other TV, Ill use a Sound bar i guess.

So...
Is it possible to even do this? I quickly realized that there is no real way to have my devices plugged into the Receiver, plugged into the Matrix and Output to the TV. It would work fine without the Receiver, but of course I want to use my own receiver/speakers.
There's an Optical/SPDIF out on the Matrix and an optical In on the Receiver. Maybe that would work? I guess i would get into setup and switch the receiver Audio to SPDIF. Thoughts on that?

Can anyone share some of their AV Magic with me? I appreciate all thoughts and discussions.

Cheers.

-SacVegas

Pretty straightforward to achieve with the correct kit - why you would want to do it is another question :)

Plenty folk (well a few) have a second Display to preview/monitor a second Source, though you would normally keep the second feed mute and not have two audio Feeds/Devices playing at the same time.

Second Display - ideally has the same capabilities (4K UHD, HDR, DV etc) as your Primary Display.

Matrix - you would need to ensure it supports the highest video and audio formats your Source(s), AVR and Displays support, which would rule out using Optical Digital Audio unless you want to limit your Source to compressed audio formats.

Layout - hopefully you plan to keep the Primary Display Centred on your seating and the second Display offset to one side, which also makes setting up a second audio system tricky.

Room - do you have a layout of what you are planning, showing seating, display position, loudspeaker positions, seating etc

Kit - what Source devices are you using and what Display devices?

Joe

Pretty straightforward to achieve with the correct kit - why you would want to do it is another question :)

Plenty folk (well a few) have a second Display to preview/monitor a second Source, though you would normally keep the second feed mute and not have two audio Feeds/Devices playing at the same time.

Second Display - ideally has the same capabilities (4K UHD, HDR, DV etc) as your Primary Display.

Matrix - you would need to ensure it supports the highest video and audio formats your Source(s), AVR and Displays support, which would rule out using Optical Digital Audio unless you want to limit your Source to compressed audio formats.

Layout - hopefully you plan to keep the Primary Display Centred on your seating and the second Display offset to one side, which also makes setting up a second audio system tricky.

Room - do you have a layout of what you are planning, showing seating, display position, loudspeaker positions, seating etc

Kit - what Source devices are you using and what Display devices?

Joe
Thanks for the reply Joe.
The service display would be like the current. 4k, UHD newer smart Tv.

The Matrix will pass the 4k and can downscale. The edid's can also be custom set for sound (2.1-5.1-7.1)

For the layout and room, the TV's would be beside each other on the wall. The AVR is right below them and the speakers would be put around the room. I'd sit across from them on the couch. Audio of course I guess would only play on one TV. The other TV muted or plugged into a sound bar if I need.

So my Kit is:
-Denon s750h AVR- 5 HDMI in, one out with eArc. Dolby Atmos, 4k newer system.
7 speakers. Two of them upfiring for the Atmos.

-Two 55" 4k HDR TV's. (I only have one at the moment). Pretty standard smart TV's.

-Matrix: Orei HD-602 6x2 (6 in 2 out). Will transmit dual 4k at 30hz. Has Arc, and can customize edid for HDMI audio

It's like I'm missing an in-between piece. As of now I can only plug the sources like Cable box and PC into either the AVR or the Matrix. If I could somehow attach them all together, it seems like it would work.
Any ideas?

Or should I just use another AVR for the other TV, and strap a soundbar onto it? Then return the Matrix.
(I have a 5.2 ready 4k cheaper Pioneer available).

Matrix EDID does not in itself alter the audio or video passing through the Matrix it simply sets what audio and video the Source should Outout.

Your connectivity would be:

Source(s) > Matrix

Matrix Out A > AVR > AVR eARC > TV1 eARC

Matrix Out B > TV2

Matrix - ideally user assignable EDID and supports 4K UHD at 60/50Hz and 24p with HDR, DV and Atmos to be of any use to you.

TV2 - needs to support the same range of video formats as TV1.

Joe

Joe, you are the King.
Your advice got me hooked up and both Tv's are working on the Matrix.
Here's one that I cant figure out.
The new Smart TV has its Netflix/Disney+/Amazon TV buttons built into the remote. If I click those buttons and watch any content from those apps, it will only play through the TV Speakers. Also, the AVR speakers will keep playing whatever channel the Matrix was last set to. I trust it's because these apps have no physical link to the Matrix and AVR, so the on board apps just cant see it? ARC is enabled on everything. Any thoughts?

On the Smart TV if you are not seeing ‘external audio’ or something similar listed when you look at the Audio Out options in the TV menu try switching the TV to the other Output on the Matrix as only one Output will be ARC enabled.

Joe

Hi @Joe Fernand

I have posted this in another thread, but haven’t got any answers. However it looks like you can answer my questions below. I have of course considered a Matrix solution, but if the Marantz AV10 can do it all for me, I’ll og with that. But here are my original post…

I’m considering the AV10, but before bying it, I hope someone here can help me regarding the HDMI- and Zone 2/3-outputs.

I will have all my video-equipment in my Home Theater.

On the AV10 I will use HDMI-output Monitor 1 to connect to my projector in my Home Theater.

Then I will use HDMI-output Zone 2 to connect to my TV in my bedroom. I will also connect the Zone 2 analog audio-output to a 2-channel amp and run speakercables to the bedroom as well, so I can use the AV10 for streaming music and for the TV audio as well.

Then I would like to connect my TV in my Living Room as well, but here I’m getting a litle bit confused. I hope I can use the third HDMI-output Monitor 2, but will it be possible to get any audio through there, or is it video only? My setup in my Living Room today, is getting the audiosignal from my TV through the optical-output and into my McIntosh MCD12000 CD-player. It’s an incredible solution with my tube pre- and poweramps in my 2-channel music setup, so I would like to keep it that way. But…will there be any audio coming through the HDMI-cable from the Monitor 2 output on the AV10? If not, any suggestions?

And one more thing…does anybody know if the HDMI-output Zone 2 sends audio through? If so, I might be able to switch around, using HDMI-output Zone 2 in my Living Room instead and Monitor 2 in my Bedroom and connect poweramp from the Zone 3 analog audio-output on the AV10. However, I fear that I then will run into lipsync and that kind of problems.

Thanks in advance😉

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom