1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hdmi+lcd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Docta teef, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    After much thought i have decided to go for an lcd projector for my cinema room (although i dont appear to suffer from seeing rainbows with DLP i bound to have at least one mate who will). Having seen and liked the sony HS10 i thought the HS20 a logical choice. While looking through the stats i noticed that it had an HDMI input at this point i didnt know a thing about HDMI so i looked into it. All of a sudden my choice of dvd player appeared to be made the 668 or 868 ( im hoping i can get away with the 668 anyone know how it compares to the old 747?). Then it occured to me 4 am the other morning one of the main advantages of this source is extra picture lines ie 750 but if im using a non digital picture source such as lcd isnt the number of lines it can show determined by the number of lcd's in the pannels and if so does anyone know if the HS20 has a large enough pannel to make use of this. I mentioned this in a shop today and the guy i was talking to was baffled

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well the pj will scale to its native res, and the 668 will probaly give a better pic than the 757 as all is digital via hdmi.

out put dvd at 720p then the pj will scale it to 768p and all will look nice. for an lcd anyway.

just dont sit to close.

not sure where u get 750 from? as all the dvd player does is scale say 576p/i or 480p/i to either 720p, 1080i.
    if u choose 1080 i the projector will down scale to 768p as that is its native res

3. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Do i take it from that you think i should go DLP my other choice was the H56 which i see you own

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    gandley,

750 is to 720, as 625 is to 576. Total signal lines versus visible picture lines. Hope this helps.

Steve

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    yeah guest that, just used to hearing 720 576 etc

oh and each to there own as regards lcd v`s dlp. personaly i hated LCD and much prefer the image from DLP

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    why use a scaler in each device, why not output a deinterlaced signal and let the projector do the scaling

Make sure the pj can do 576p DVI

7. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've seen screenshots of examples of the HS20 scaling and it appears not to be very good! For some reason (not what I expected), giving the HS20 a 720p (up-scaled) picture and having the Sony re-scale to its native res did actually result in a better pic than letting the Sony do all the scaling from 480p? The best pic was achieved by leaving the 720p native (in thru mode) however.

Incidentally, giving the Sony an up-scaled 1080i picture actually resulted in the 2nd best pic, so it appears the HS20 is better at scaling down rather than up!? This is a good choice as you use the full panel and still get a very good picture, which may work out better than native 1280x720p depending on seating distance etc?

The person never tried 480i however, so maybe when the Sony is doing all the processing it is better??

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have generally found Sony do very decent scaling but kore general ponts

Use as good deinterlacing as poss, even if this means sacrifising a pure difital one over good old analogue

Only get one device do the scaling

A very high res signal down scaled is often better!

Try all the combinations and son't make snap judgements

9. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I agree with what the Beekeeper is saying, try out all possibilities open to you, as nothing should be taken for granted.

However, from reading the threads at AVS, most (not all) say that the scaling of the Sigma Designs 8500 based DVD players is better than the HS20's and that giving the PJ an up-scaled 1280x720p @ 50Hz/60Hz (PAL/NTSC) with it set in thru mode delivers the best picture, followed by a 1080i re-scaled to fit the full Sony panels. If 'judder' is not a problem at 56Hz, I'm assuming that using one of these players (or HCPC) to scale the DVD up to 1366x768 (56Hz) in the custom DVI settings menu, should result in the best picture, but this is just a guess.