• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI issues...

iddqd

Established Member
I have a Samsung N7 32", and when I use HDMI, I get a Mode Not Supported error whenever I try outputting at 720p or 1080i. The strangest thing is, i get a picture fine when outputting at 480p.

I've tried 3 different HDMI cables...so is it a faulty PS3?

Tony Hoyle

Prominent Member
Is it an HD ready TV? Which model is it?

It may be for example that your TV only supports 50hz not 60hz so won't be compatible.

iddqd

Established Member
I have a Samsung N732BD.

If it doesn't support 60hz, would it still be able to output at 480p then?

And to m1ket, yes other HD devices seem to work fine.

I forgot to say, I've been using Component ever since I got my PS3 (1 year ago), and that displays fine in 720p/1080i. The no HDMI is just something that has bugged me.

Rhydem

Banned
Yeah, same with me mate. I just gave up and used component, is there any big difference between the two?

stoomc

Prominent Member
I have a Samsung N732BD.

If it doesn't support 60hz, would it still be able to output at 480p then?

And to m1ket, yes other HD devices seem to work fine.

I forgot to say, I've been using Component ever since I got my PS3 (1 year ago), and that displays fine in 720p/1080i. The no HDMI is just something that has bugged me.

Your set is definitely HD ready and definitely supports 60hz so that's not it. I think we have the same model of Samsung (accept mine is the 40") so I know there is no probs with connecting a PS3.

All I can suggest is try and connect your PS3 via HDMI to someone else's set to rule out the PS3. I looked up your model and apparently it has 2 hdmi slots like mine...I know it sounds an obvious question but have you tried all 3 HDMI cables in both slots? If so the only other thing I can think is connect your PS3 via HDMI and go to the settings and just tick just 720p for eg.
or...lol...try a 4th HDMI cable, you never know.

Goodluck with it anyway and tell us how you get on.

:)

P.S Is your Sammy still under warranty?
P.P.S I really hope you do get it sorted as the Sammy's HDMI input is miles better than the component IMHO

iddqd

Established Member
Yea I've tried it on our downstairs tv aswell which is exactly the same model and the same problem occurs.

It must be a problem with handshaking and HDCP surely? But why would it work in 480p and nothing higher? I've tried just setting it to 720p and still no go, tried both ports, don't really want to waste money on another HDMI cable as it is likely to not work again.

It is a US PS3 though, so maybe therein lies the problem?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom