HDMI Issues

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by Hotshy, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Hotshy

Hotshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi All

I'm not sure if I have posted this in the correct place so please bare with me. For the past year or so I have put up with an issue which gets incredibly annoying at times. Here is a background of the problem;

I seem to have an issue with the HDMI cables which I have routed through my wall to a socket near my Sky box/Xbox etc. What is happening is every so often (sometimes upto 10 times a minute, sometimes not at all) the screen on my TV will either flash blue/black for a second or I will get a 'static' display similar to what you might experience on an old CRT TV. I noticed this issue a few days after having Sky installed and originally thought it was the Sky box, so I had a new box delivered - this did not solve the problem.

What does solve the problem however, is if I use a different HDMI cable but obviously I have to have a cable running from the TV across to the cabinet where my Sky box is, which defies the point of my tidy set up. This obviously points to a problem being with the HDMI cables I have routed behind the plasterboard. However, I never get this problem when playing on a games console, not once, only when I am watching TV through the Sky box. Has anyone ever experienced an issue like this? I was under the impression an HDMI cable either worked or it didn't, could this be something to do with the settings on the Sky box?

I'm really at a loss with this so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Sean

2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,847
    This can occur with long cables.
    What is the total cable length from Sky box to TV?

3. Hotshy

Hotshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The length of the cables is 3m. I read up on this and understand it only really happens at lengths of around 10m?

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    Go into the Picture/Video output setting on your SkyHD box and check if it's set to 720/1080 or Auto...whatever it's currently set to try a different setting.

5. Hotshy

Hotshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the advice mate I hadn't tried that before. I tried it on 720p (was on 1080i which is what my tv is) and it still happened so changed it to auto. It seems to do it less now but I've noticed now when it happens it will change from 1080i to 576p (I can tell as it says in the top corner of the screen as it would when u change source). Do you think this sounds like a signal issue?

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    That's normal, If you're seeing 576 that just means you're viewing an SD source so when Sky broadcast an HD programme you'll see 1080 and when they show an SD one you'll see 576.

7. S D I

S D I
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I am a CI. and come across this all the time when people have, shall we say dubious quality cables permanently installed.
    I don't ever have the problem because I duct everything so sods law states that if you can easily pull new cables through they will never fail.
    So if it comes to running cables anywhere especially HDMI always put a minimum 40mm flexible duct in.

Also I've heard that people have been reporting similar issues with a certain batch of SKY receivers which I understand has now been addressed.

Anyway here are a couple of work-arounds for you that work for us in the field, namely using active electronic buffers.
    The cable can obviously handle the bandwidth because it works with the XBOX so it is simply an electronic mismatch of impedance or whatever.

First idea is to use a HDMI splitter to drive the cable at the SKY receiver end.
    Don't know why exactly but using these as buffers
    Compact 1x2, 1x4 HDMI and over Cat 5/6 Splitters - Full HD 1080p, 3D, 4K and IR Passback
    model 1x2 HDMI Splitter - LKSP0102 has worked a treat when other methods fail.
    I presume the second output would be surplus to requirements in your case.

If that fails (which it won't in 90% of cases) try this device at the TV end
    AV18495 - UNBRANDED - HDMI EXTENDER | CPC
    Although unbranded I've used this particular extender over the years for rescue jobs and they get you out of jail more often than not compared to others.

I can only vouch for these particular devices and obviously it would be better if you could replace the cable but you could always borrow a similar HDMI extender or splitter to test if you have any friends using them.

If you buy the HDA splitter and it doesn't work I'd feel bad so I'll buy it from you at cost, I use them all the time.

Hopefully you will post the resolution.

Steve

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  8. Hotshy

Hotshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks very much for that informed reply Steve, hopefully what you've suggested will solve it! Just to clarify at the moment I am using a 'coupler' on each cable at the sky/xbox end as they aren't long enough, so using your suggestion would I be able to replace the couplers with the splitter and just connect the other two 1m hdmi cables from the sky box and xbox to the coupler? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

9. S D I

S D I
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Not sure exactly what you are saying but as I understand it the Xbox can be left as is and the coupler on the Sky HDMI cables needs replacing with the splitter (used as a buffer).
    You didn't mention you are using couplers and extra 1m cables so I'm even more confident my suggestion is going to work.

10. Hotshy

Hotshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You're right the xbox can be left as is but I'll just reiterate what I was saying. I have two HDMI cables from the wall mounted TV running through the wall to a corner behind my cabinet that houses the games consoles sky box etc. Because these cables aren't quite long enough I have a coupler on each one and then two further 1m HDMI cables which go to the Sky box and HDMI box. The way I interpreted what you were saying, and after having looked at the picture of the box on the website, I thought I could remove the couplers and use this box to plug the two 3m long cables in and effectively use it as my coupler too? If I have understook the concept wrong though please correct me.

Thanks

11. S D I

S D I
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    The splitter has one input and two outputs.
    In other words whatever you plug into the splitter input will be cloned on the two outputs eg. for 2 x TVs.
    As you are effectivily using the splitter as a coupler (one input, only one output used) then it is only used on the SKY 3m HDMI lead and the working XBOX 3m cable is untouched.

Hope this clarifies

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  12. Hotshy

Hotshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ah I understand thanks for that. I'm waiting for a call back from my nearest 'HDAnywhere' retailer to confirm how much it will set me back for the mentioned product so will keep you updated.

Cheers