HDMI issues with Toshiba 32WL48?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Damian1978, Feb 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Hi chaps,

Well after trying the above Toshiba then two dissapointing Samsung's (which have now been collected) I'm thinking the Toshiba was'nt quite that bad.

I cannot try the HDMI input but that is one of the major selling points to me. After reading a few comments regarding the noise found on this input I was wondering how bad people thought it was?

I have no way of testing it.

I did notice noise on most of the picture but I thinks its just the Active Picture Control processing. Is it like that?

Its either this TV or I may have to try the rather cheap Video 7 32" panel :eek:

2. skinimin

skinimin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Damien,

I got my 32WL48 from QED at the same time you got your first one. After twiddling with the settings I finally got a great picture with freeview. I've read the same comments about the HDMI and wanted to check it out so I bought a 5 metre DVI to HDMI from Maplins to use with my PC. Using an ATI 9600 Pro I got an amazing picture with the HD WMV demos on Microsofts site, I've also managed to get hold of IMAX Amazon documentary
    in 1080i & some other HD content and the picture is crystal clear, absolutely amazing, it looks sharp even close to the screen. I'm very happy with it.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1480027#

3. sharoe

sharoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Skinimin. That is good news about the HDMI. :thumbsup:

Mine arrives this next week or soon after. I've read one or two postings from people expecting 32WL48s in the near future. Sounds like Toshiba has a major consignment on the way in.

I'll post a review when I get it set up but, in the meantime, could you post the settings you refer to! They sound like a good starting point for us newbies and may save a lot of time.

4. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Well I'm now torn between this and the rather cheap Video 7 panel.

The Tosh offers definite HDTV compatibility and HDMI but no PIP (having that on the Samsung was quite nice). The Video 7 may have HDCP compatibility and PIP and most panels seem to have no pixel problems but its an unknown make so I've no idea for support but its £300 cheaper!

5. NeilScarrott

NeilScarrott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skinimin, Sounds very positive getting the good picture via HDMI on the Tosh, I always liked the look of this TV in John Lewis, can you post the settings you use? I'm seriously tempted by the Tosh once again after considering a Philips 9976!

Neil

6. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    skinimin, I'd also like to know your settings. I really like this TV but have been disappointed by the HDMI picture using a Panny S97 DVD player. I don't have anything else to compare with but from reading reviews of both I've convinced myself that the problem is with the Tosh. The problem occurs when there's a large area of a solid colour. The colour doesn't look solid, but rather grainy with a lot of "movement" in it. The effect varies from DVD to DVD, but the worst I have actually seen was with a Superbit DVD (which I'd expected to be the best)

7. skinimin

skinimin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The settings I have are

Backlight 75
    Contrast 40
    Brightness 50
    Colour 50
    Sharpness +37
    DNR 5
    Black Stretch Off
    Colour Temp Normal

Other threads on this site about the 32WL48 suggested turning the Sharpness setting down, I found that this gave a really washed out look on the highlights on faces, I've have not changed the settings for about a month though it took two weeks to find the right settings. The settings the TV comes with are really overbright and garish, don't be afraid to turn things down, the main thing I wanted was to get skin tones looking right. The source of the signal seems to make a big difference, on some broadcasts news readers or sports commentators in the the studio seem washed out but all other stuff looks fine.

After reading all of the other posts on this site & Damiens problems I spent a lot of time making sure I was happy with the set within the 7 day return period .

With freeview signals I'd say you need to be at least 6 feet from the screen but with HDMI i think you could half that, obviously if you look at it close up you can see lots noise & stuff but from a sensible distance it looks fantastic, the depth of field is amazing.

I've got hold of "Kill Bill vol 1" in 720p & will post result when I have watched it .

8. four_bes

four_bes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking forward to your 720p results - I'm trying to decide between the Tosh and a Philips 32PF976/86. The 32WL48 seems to be a better bet for Sky HD.

Just one thing - the depth of field can't be changed by the display/TV. The camera lense focal length and aperture dictate this. If pixel processing appears to 'improve' depth of field (making the background crisper) it's making detail up and isn't giving you an accurate rendition of the picture.