HDMI IR problem??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Cap Loz, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Cap Loz

Cap Loz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought and installed an HDMI over Cat5 with IR Extender (TwinWire 50m) direct from HD Connectivity and whilst I get perfect picture and sound extending Sky HD to my remote television, I am not able to get the IR Extender to work.
    I have ensured that the SKY remote actually passes through an IR light (using my camera phone to check at the Tx end)
    I have also located the IR input window on my Sky box using a bright light but nothing seems to happen when trying to use the remote. Oh and I've disabled the Samsung Anytime setting on my TV.
    Any suggestions or do I have a faulty IR Passback??
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Just tried with brand new batteries in the remote, but still not working.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Hi Cap Loz,

Which model of Sky box do you have and where have you located the window to be?

Sky boxes vary in model and manufacturer quite a bit and hence the location of the IR window does as well. What you've found might be a throw back in their plastic moulds rather than the actual window.

The fact that you can see the flashing LED on your TX from a mobile phone camera does indicate that the IR hardware is functional. But we can always swap the RX and TX out for another one to rule that out.

Does the IR passback work with any other source? Have you tested it with something other than the Sky Box?

Many Thanks!

3. Cap Loz

Cap Loz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Techie
    Its a Samsung box about 3 years old and I have tried moving the IR Tx back and forth across the front but mainly been trying in the area between the center indicator and the phone indicator. (Ask my wife to tell you how many times we've tried. LOL)
    Hadn't thought to try with another device so I'll give that a go and report back.
    What I will say is that my SkyBox is remarkably good at picking up the IR from the Sky Remote, as it will receive from a rebounded signal ie: I can point my Tx away from the box and get it to work. (It is in a conservatory and must pick up from reflections, I guess.)

4. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    They are always good with the original remotes as the wide angle of IR literally flooded out of the front of the remotes is designed to reach from anywhere.

Our TX devices are quite focused. Because we get people fitting jobs with our 8x8 matrix with potentially 8 sky boxes, in order to avoid IR crossing from one to another, it helps to focus the TX output.

If another IR item doesn't work, we'll change the IR RX and TX to rule them out.

Many Thanks!

5. Cap Loz

Cap Loz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well on your advise I checked with another source, a Samsung BlueRay Player and lo and behold the IR worked!! Thanks again Techie,that clears the IR Extender part of things, however still no joy on the Sky box which is the real reason I wanted the thing in the first place, so obviously I haven't found the "sweet spot" IR window yet. Apart from shining a bright light at it, from an angle, any other ideas??

One other thing, I don't have the Sky Remote tuned to my specific TV, but just a generic setting. Will this make any difference, do you think?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
  7. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    That won't necessarily be the right place. The variations we have on all the sky boxes we keep for testing go with model, date of manufacture etc.

Obviously your trying to use the extenders for what they tend to get used for 90% of the time, with a sky HD box. So we know they are perfectly good for that. You've tested the IR as functional with another IR device. So we know that's all good.

Sky remote settings won't matter as it's a repeat system. So the box thinks your remote is in front of it anyway.

We can send you out an old style IR TX that's a wide blaster. That might get you the coverage you need to not have to be so specific with the "bud" type.

I spent a while on site getting two boxes right late last year. The IR was reflecting off of the inside of my hand, so I'd think I'd got it right, pop the bud on, then take my hand away and it would stop working. It just took a bit longer to sort out where was actually best.

Many Thanks!

8. Cap Loz

Cap Loz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got it sorted.
    Thanks to Techie and others for the help.

For reference:-

1. The sensor on my Samsung box was as indicated in the photo shown by
    jammyb.

2. Took the case off and inside was full of dust which obviously didn't help.

3. To work the Tx needs to be right on the sensor with no gap between
    them.

4. Strangely, the Sky remote functions better when pointed at 45 deg to
    the Rx, rather tan directly at it.

Once again thanks for all the help.:)

9. fulls

fulls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am having similar problems but with a sky 1 tb box.

I've phoned support and received new dongles but no joy. When I do eventually get the blasters blinking (visible by a camera) it's so slow responding.

I have a 4 x4 single wire hdmi switch. This is the second switch I've had and at one point had it working on a second tv quite well but then had to unplug it all to fit a new cabinet. Ever since I reconnected and tried using 3 tv with 2 blasters it does not work.

Any ideas? I'd like to avoid a refund but am certainly heading that way. Even bought a 15m active wire to solve one issue of picture not showing on far tv. That fixed first issue but now this one gas arose

10. fulls

fulls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to be clear it's not only slow responding it also stops altogether. Using Samsung TVA wit cec disabled

11. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Fulls - Your post is a little unclear. Could you help clarify a few things please so we can get you up and running.

When you say 'dongles' - do you mean the IR emitter/receiver cable or do you mean the IR over HDMI dongles that form our IR over HDMI kits that are included with our HDMI-only matrix products (not HDBT).
    ?

Certainly should be able to resolve all your IR issues if it is a SingleWire HDBaseT matrix. If it is your second unit, then it would have been soak tested prior to dispatch - so we know it to be fully functional.

The ActiveWire cable addition is confusing me to be honest.

Can you provide more details about your setup to aid my understanding?

- how may sources and what are they?
    - how many display locations?
    - cat cable distances?
    - are you using patch panels or wall plates?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  12. fulls

fulls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry I should have added more detail.

By Dongles I meant the IR blaster and receiver (Rx Tx black plastic IR things).

Sources:

Sky HD 1tb box
    Samsung DVD Blueray player
    Playstation

3 display locations.

No CAT cabling all HDMI. 1 x 7m, 1 x 10m and 1 x 15m activewire.

No patch panels, I have a brush plate so cables plug straight in.

Picture works fine on all screens. Shining a camera at the IR blasters I can see them flashing as expected.

The problem lies with Sky. It's just so slow responding to the IR, on occasions it stops altogether.

CEC is switched off on all TV's. I did get the IR working without issue once on the screen connected by the 10m HDMI cable. I had to disconnect it for a new cabinet and since then have had no joy.

I've not even tried to tackle the IR for use on the blueray as yet. Getting Sky working is the priority.

Thanks

13. fulls

fulls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All TV's are samsung

14. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    OK so your matrix is not a SingleWire HDBT system, it's the HDMI matrix.

Try raising the IR blaster a couple of centimetres and place about an inch away from the sky box in the left hand side of the central circle.

15. fulls

fulls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Could you show me the exact position on a diagram? Also how am I supposed to fix it 1 inch away? :) holding it might get tiring!

Seriously I have been moving it around today but having exactly the same problem.

16. fulls

fulls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've done some further tests. So it appears all other devices work fine it's just the sky hd 1 tb box (manufactured by sky). I have even taken the front off the sky hd box and am pointing straight at the ir receiver. Its half the way over to the left. On occasions it does work but is nowhere near as sensitive as the other devices. Are your products tested on the newer boxes? Quite frustrating as with the performance of all other sources I can have the ir blaster anywhere

17. fulls

fulls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Another update:

After researching this on the Internet I found that lots of people have the same issue with ir distribution systems and a sky 1tb box. It seems the boxes don't like repeated ir signals for some reason.

One work around suggested was to use magic eye for the sky box part which is now what I have done! Works 100% better.

I am now using the hdmi matrix to control the switch itself and a Samsung blue ray via ir. I then use magic eye for sky.

It's not ideal because I was under the impression the hd matrix switch would do it all but it appears not to be compatible with all sky boxes. This explains why it did not work or was flakey when I was pointing directly at the sensor. I even took off the outer sky box casing.

Are you guys able to research this further? Not sure how much testing you have done with the latest sky boxes?

I wondering if the signal type can be changed somehow to make it work

Anyways for the time being I now have a work around!!!! 2-3 months I've waited for it to work :)

18. Up a ladder

Up a ladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Have you tried the matrix emitter onto a magic eye at the sky box?

19. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    A few months back, we adjusted the design of our IR emitters for our HDanywhere Multiroom+ and Multiroom+PoE systems, so this Sky box issue is not actually an issue anymore. It is now a stick-on droplet style that comes with a sticky IR hood/cover, which is much more effective with all source devices.

Unfortunately, it has not been adjusted (yet) for the standard HDMI Matrices with IR. These lower cost systems still include the old style IR emitters.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  20. Mr Bimmer

Mr Bimmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there no way that you can design an ir remote where the signal goes through Hdmi as it does now, then enters the Sky box at the coax socket where the old magic eye used to go? Surely, that would be a neater solution (if possible).

Does this sticky hood design of transmitter get in the way of the regular remote when pointing directly at the box?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  21. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    You are misunderstanding how the IR works with the 4x2.

The IR from both TV locations is emitted at the Sky box via the IR TX cable.

TV1 uses an IR over HDMI dongle and TV2 uses IR over the Cat5 via the Display Receiver.

You would not be pointing the regular remote directly at the Sky box, rather you point it at the included IR Receiver's at each TV locations that are included with the system.

The 4x2 and all your source devices can be neatly hidden away in a cupboard. There is no need for them to be in line-of-sight with any remotes with a HDanywhere system.

22. Mr Bimmer

Mr Bimmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aah, thanks, now I understand.

If the components can be hidden away, do you know if it's possible to open up the SkyHD box (2012 version) and remove it's ir receiver so as the tape the transmitter/receiver directly together for a perfect transmission of signal?

23. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Honestly, you dont need to do that. The new IR emitters work perfectly with Sky when stuck in the right place, there is no need to take such drastic measures. (& invalidate your warranty)

The picture posted by JammyB shows the right of the circle, but on my 1TB at home it is too the left!