Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HDMI interface - incredible improvement in quality!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eugdog2, May 29, 2004.

1. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MY £800 Denon 2800 finally gave up the ghost so I had to buy a cheap replacement. I bought the Samsung HDMI compatable HD935 for a mere £150!

Using the the HDMI interface I was stunned at the quality of both PAL and NTSC quality of picture. It was far superior to my Denon (I used componant inputs for the Denon)

Paradoxically I find that using the Panamorphic lens makes the picture worse! I find that seting up a widescreen picture and shrinking it with a panamorph does not work very well - is this something to with the 720p resolution! I use the NEC 1000HT projector (4.3 picture)

For those of you considering buying the Sanyo, Panny A500 or Sony H20 - you should buy the Sony H20 by virtue of its HDMI interface. :) :smoke: :smoke

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but you cant do native rate on the sony by hdmi...... thus negating some of the benefit!

ad

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    And i think using an HDMI>DVi converter for the Panny AE 500 will work fine....

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    likewise for the sanyo.... in fact both panny and sanyo will be able to be run at native rate.....

ad

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    The Sanyo has hdmi, well Z2 does as i did have the 935 but couldnt get on with the PAL picture quality

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it only has dvi unless there is something major that has changed since I owned one 4 months ago....

ad

7. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    inzaman, you said you found the PAL quality poor - I find that surprising because I think it is terrific - certainly better then the componant input on my far more expensive Denon? Can you tell us more?

Also what is native rate?

:lease:

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Native resolution is probably what is meant. The actual resolution of the panel. Native rate could be assumed to be the same refresh rate as the incoming signal.

The Samsung will not play back DVI @50Hz I believe.

Gordon

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, Gordon is right, i meant native resolution.... need to think of a term that covers native rate and resolution.....

ad

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    the pioneer 868i is one of the few HDMI(DVI) units that does pass pal at 50hz, which is very good indeed.

11. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pass PAL at 50HZ - what does that mean?

Does it matter on my NEC 1000HT

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    PAL is a 50Hz signal in UK. This means that ideally you want the player to stick it out at 50Hz. If you convert it to 60Hz, as your Samsung does, you will get artefacts associated with this conversion.

PAL = 50 fields per second

If you turn that in to 60 fields per second you need to start repeating fields. This adds judder in movement.

Some DLP's only work at fixed 60Hz refresh rates so may be doing the same conversion of PAL or PAL progressive signals they are sent themselves. If this is the case with the NEC (I don't know) you may not see a difference between the two signal types in that regard.

Hope this is a little use

Gordon

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Apologies, my mistake on the hdmi.

I thought that ntsc looked very sharp and pretty amazing, for pal material though there was a few problems.

One was some kind of blockyness to the picture maybe break up even. In particular on spiderman where macy gray is singing and you can see the goblin flying on his hover thing in the distance that image of him seemed to lose some detail and looked like that part of the picture was breaking up, this didnt happen when playing the same scene on my pio 757.

It really shows the grain on older dvd material to the point of being distracting imo, i dont know if this is a problem with dvi per se or just the 935 and pal material. The main culprit was great escape, in particular the lighter shots again with the pio 757 this was far less evident.

Black level just didnt look as deep as my pio, but this may have been a calibration issue although i did use avia to set it up so should be comparable to my pio.