HDMI Input not Output through the Video Out

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Timmys, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Timmys

Timmys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just bought a Panasonic SC-BTT370 'all in one' (Blueray and home cinema in one box).

I have attached my Virgin Media Cable TV Set Top Box (Tivo) using one of the HDMI inputs.

I have attached a projector to the SC-BTT370 via the 'Video Out' (I think this is a Composite cable).

The problem is that the Cable TV is not displayed on the projector. Other sources (e.g. a Blueray disc played in the SC-BTT370) are displayed on the projector.

The shop I bought the SC-BTT370 from tell me that this is correct: they say systems are not allowed to send an HDMI input out via the 'Video Out.' Is this correct? If so, can anyone help advise me what my options are, please? My projector only has the Composite Video input and an S-video input.

Many thanks in advance.

2. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    The Panasonic must not be able to convert a digital signal from an external device, the Tivo, to an analogue one, to be then passed out over the composite.....

But you say it can do it with sources from the optical drive.....?

you might need to go direct from the Tivo with analogue composite video to the projector, maybe a switch for that and the Panasonic video output.......

the only other option may be a convertor...............HDMI to 3RCA AV/Composite S-video Converter 1080P which could take the digital HDMI output from your home theater and convert it to a 1080p signal acceptable to the projector......

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. Timmys

Timmys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mediaman.

So is it correct that home cinema devices should not allow an incoming HDMI feed (e.g. from my Xbox or Tivo) to be output via the Video Out? Does anyone know if there are other home cinema options that do allow this? I do wonder what is the point of having a Video Out socket then....

Many thanks.

4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    The majority do. Many people use their AV amp/receiver as a HDMI switching device - so they have all their HDMI kit connected to their receiver via various HDMI inputs, then have a single HDMI output running from the receiver to the TV. They then select the source on the receiver, and never need to change the source on the TV (as it is always showing what is connected to its HDMI 1 input).

As mediaman suggested, your problem is that you are trying to convert a digital in to an analogue out, and there is a fair probability that it won't be able to do that. You either need to use a digital out as well as a digital in on your home cinema (so HDMI in, HDMI out) or you need to use analogue as both input and output (so composite or scart in from Virgin box, composite or scart out from home cinema to TV). Alternatively, connect your Virgin box directly to your TV using HDMI (so you can take advantage of its high definition output) and use the home cinema for what it was intended to be used as - an amplifier for the audio.

5. Timmys

Timmys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - many thanks to Broadz and themediaman for your help - much appreciated. Perhaps the best option is to try to convince my wife to let me upgrade my projector to one with an HDMI input. Time to start saving...

Thanks again.