HDMI Input Audio Output Through TV via HDMI ARC

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by 2000mph, Jan 5, 2012.

1. 2000mph

2000mph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a Panasonic SC-BTT775 All in One system.

I have connected my xbox to the HDMI in and the system is connected to the TV via HDMI (Arc).

The system doesn't have a headphones socket so I want to use the headphones socket on the TV when using my xbox sometimes.

However what ever settings I try I cannot get the sound to output through the TV speakers. The instructions say its possible if I set the system volume to "0" and the audio output is 2-channel audio, but it doesn't say how to set it to 2-channel audio.

I have found a setting called HDMI Audio Out and turned that ON.

Does anyone have this system and knows how to configure this.

Otherwise is there anyway to get headphones connected to the Panasonic system itself I cannot see a way.

Apart from this one issue I'd say this is a pretty good system, just wish it had a headphone socket.

Thanks.

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    ARC outputs audio from the TV to the home cinema - not the other way round.

If you want to feed audio (and picture) to the TV (from either the XBox or the home cinema), you need to connect the external piece of kit directly to the TV using HDMI, scart, composite etc.

3. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    does ARC not enable 2 directional travel of audio................?

will a stereo signal not be sent to the TV from the HT as well?

4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Yes - but suspect that the OP has not selected the correct source on the TV (presumably HDMI1 - or whatever HDMI socket the home cinema is connected to). Or possibly not selected the correct source on the home cinema - whatever source the XBox is connected to.

5. 2000mph

2000mph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think I have selected the correct Source on the TV and Home Cinema System as I am getting the Picture from the Xbox fine just not audio via the TV. Is there a setting on the TV itself that I may need to change to get this to work?

I will have another read through TV and Home Cinema instructions and have another go at this tonight to see what I can find.

6. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    The other possibility is that the home cinema is outputting a digital audio signal which the TV cannot decode - my Toshiba TV doesn't give me any audio if I have my DVD recorder connected to it via HDMI, and have digital audio output set to Bitstream rather than PCM. Basically, the DVD recorder outputs Dolby Digital or DTS when watching commercial DVD discs, and because the TV does not contain a DD/DTS decoder it cannot decode or play the audio. If I set the digital audio to output PCM (which the TV can decode) or use a second stereo connection from the DVDR to the TV which works in parallel with the HDMI input, the TV can play the audio as well as show the video.

7. 2000mph

2000mph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ah that could be it, I will see if changing to PCM makes a difference. Otherwise the option to get a seperate digital audio cable to run additionally to the HDMI will have to do. Didn't relalise you could have them both run in parallel, cheers for the help I will let you know if it works.

8. 2000mph

2000mph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I found a solution and its a funny one. Turn the system off. :)

The Panasonic has a feature called HDMI Standby Pass-Through. This allows Devices connected via HDMI to still be used even when the home cinema system is turned off!!

Once I found that setting it was all sorted. So if I have the system turned on it doesn't work but if i turn it off then both the picture and sound come through on the TV. Sorted. :) Thanks for everyones help solving this. :smashin: