HDMI in to receiver and optical out to PC speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by museumsteve, Aug 6, 2013.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    Just about to do another little project and cant find an obvious answer :s

I want to take an HDMI signal from my GPU (setup to carry the audio and pic) into a Sony receiver (probably 5200es). I will feed the HDMI out to a monitor and I want to then output the audio via optical from the Sony to a set of PC speakers that have optical in. I wont be using the Sony for audio.

Basically I'm looking to use one PC for 2 different setups in my 'project room' . I cant use the Sony for audio as that feeds some of my bass shakers for my race rig.
    I cant really think of an easy way to test it before I buy a PC speaker setup with optical.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,062
    Why the need to pass anything through via the 5200ES and why not simply route the video directly to the display while feeding the audio straight to the PC speaker package. No audio processing will ocur in relation to an optical audio output from an AV receiver and any audio being conveyed via HDMI to the receiver will not be output via optical.

As far as I can see, there's no practical purpose to including the AV receiver into the equation?

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    At the moment I have my racing project in the room.

My PC feeds analogue audio to 2 receivers (a Yamaha and the Sony) that drive tactile for SimVibe, this is from 2 sound cards. Some of the Sony speaker outs are taken up for SimVibe.

The GPU (HD7950) has 3 outputs to 3 projectors for the race setup. One goes via an Onkyo receiver which does game audio and then onto one of the projectors.

I'm now starting a new project, building a seat, for Oculus Rift use when I don't want to use my race setup.
    This means I'd like to use the same PC but feed a 5.1 system in/around the new seat as well as HDMI to the Oculus Rift. The sound has to be different from the race seat because it's not in the same place of course.

The main reason to look at the Sony was if I could use it it means I'd be able to use everything just by switching 2 of the HDMI outputs from the GPU. One could go to the Sony and onto the extra monitor and PC speakers and the other could feed the Oculus Rift

I don't want to have to re-configure the PC audio settings each time as it's fiddly with SimVibe.

If I cant get 5.1 from optical via the HDMI in I guess I may have to look at another receiver near the seat. I liked the idea of a Creative/Logitech 5.1 system as they're nice and small :)

Can you see what I'm trying to achieve :)

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,062
    The only way you can do as you suggest is if actually using an intermediary matrix to split off the audio derrived from the HDMI feed and then output it as S/PDIF. You may indeed to better off looking at yet another AV receiver because such matrix boxes cost about the same as an entry level budget AV receiver.

Doesn't you source already have an S/PDIF output? You can split such feeds as is the case with HDMI. Simply utilise splitters so that you have an HDMI feed to your desired displau plus an S.PDIF audio feed to your PC speaker package. The feeds can stay live and will only be active while you are actually using the associated display and PC sound setup.

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    The sound cards are setup up for analogue only for simvibe, it requires one sound card per mode.. If I plug in S/PDIF it overrides the settings.

I guess another receiver is the obvious answer.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,062
    What are you using as a monitor. If a HDMI equiped TV then many allow for HDMI sourced 5.1 audio to be passed through and out via their optical S/PDIF output. Such a TV would simply need an HDMI feed from your source and the PC speakers would use the S/PDIF output from the TV.

7. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    I'm not sure what it is. 22" LG HD ready TV which I picked up last week, I'll check tonight :)

Thanks for the replies mate :)