HDMI help please

tails007

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I need some help please.

I'll be connecting an Epson EH-TW7000 projector, to a Denon AVRX3600 over a distance of about 8m which will be playing 4k content.

What would be good cables to get please? I don't want to spend a lot, but similarly don't want rubbish which will break and not get a good picture from my equipment.
Thank you!

8m is critical length for 4K over HDMI. Is it below or above 8m?

You would need to be at 7.5m max ideally. This Maybe
Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 25ft Black

Amazon product ASIN B06X3QDY4M
Thanks very much. Exposing my lack of knowledge here but:

Will this handle a 4k image?

What happens after 8m with hdmi cable??

I agree as long as your cable install does not have any sharp bends which may put undue stress on the HDMI ports which will cause issues down the road. You should keep some slack at the source and sink end. If not, then you could go with an active cable which would give you a little more length to play with but there can be issues with some pj's and their current output which an active cable needs.

Do keep in mind that as the cable length for Premium High Speed HDMI cables, which are passive, get close to the maximum length of 25' (about 8m) the wire gauge becomes thicker which affects flexibility (bend radius) and, as I mentioned above, that can have issues.

Is your cable install in-wall by any chance?

After 8m it tends not to work at all. Sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. 7.5m is really your max on a passive cable with any degree of safety and no sharp bends.

Yes that cable is Premium Certified High Speed, it should be fine for 4K. Monoprice are a reputable HDMI manufacturer.

I agree as long as your cable install does not have any sharp bends which may put undue stress on the HDMI ports which will cause issues down the road. You should keep some slack at the source and sink end. If not, then you could go with an active cable which would give you a little more length to play with but there can be issues with some pj's and their current output which an active cable needs.

Do keep in mind that as the cable length for Premium High Speed HDMI cables, which are passive, get close to the maximum length of 25' (about 8m) the wire gauge becomes thicker which affects flexibility (bend radius) and, as I mentioned above, that can have issues.

Is your cable install in-wall by any chance?
Yes, in wall/in ceiling. It's not actually that far but factoring a bit of slack in I guess

If you can test the cable with your kit before you install it, ensure you give yourself a simple way ti replace a failed or damaged cable - note that any active cable is 'directional' if you do have to ginstall a longer than 8m cable.

Joe

If you can test the cable with your kit before you install it, ensure you give yourself a simple way ti replace a failed or damaged cable - note that any active cable is 'directional' if you do have to ginstall a longer than 8m cable.

Joe
I'm having the cable installed as part of a first fit and have ordered 2 so there is some redundancy there. Conduit is a good idea though. I'll see what can be done!

I'm having the cable installed as part of a first fit and have ordered 2 so there is some redundancy there. Conduit is a good idea though. I'll see what can be done!
Conduit (with a pull string) is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling because chances are you will be needing to upgrade your cabling again in the future. Pay careful attention as to how the cabling is installed. You don't want any sharp bends because that can affect signal propagation over time. Plan your runs because once the walls are up or closed, that's it.

‘I'm having the cable installed as part of a first fit’ - ensure the installers know active cables are directional and to follow the labelling on the HDMI plugs.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom