HDMI/HDCP HIDEF Ready.....?

ancient

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi ...

Could someone please confirm...

If a set has a Hdmi socket,does this mean it is automatically HDCP as well...?

Or does the HDCP only refer to Dvi sockets....?

Thanks.

All hdmi sockets are hdcp as standard, hdmi is also audio & video.

dvi can be with or without hdcp and is video only.

Just remeber for sky hi-def is needs to handle 720p @ 50Hz and 1080i @ 50Hz.

Thanks guys....Another question...if I'm using Dvi with hdcp...which will only give me Video...how would I recieve the audio...?
Sorry for the newbie question.

Cheers.

phono leads to the display, urgh :thumbsdow

optical cable to a nice 5.1 (or above) amp :thumbsup:

does the philips 32 9986 support hdcp via dvi socket??

mickbarlow said:
All hdmi sockets are hdcp as standard, hdmi is also audio & video.

dvi can be with or without hdcp and is video only.

Umm, I work on the assumption that you are correct, but it is a very important distinction, so I went and had a look at www.hdmi.org and a few other sites.

I cant find anything that says that a device with a HDMI socket is a guarantee of HDCP compliance. Certainly HDMI can support a HDCP connection (as can DVI), but the only difference I can find listed is the support for Audio.

Can you enlighten me - as stated I am sure you are right but it would be good to know where this assurance comes from - even if it means I've missed something obvious on the website.

Thanks

JZ

HDCP is what you need, but as some Panny plasma users have found; not all implementations are FULL implementations. Before I bought my Sharp 37GA4E I got written confirmation from Sharp.

joker_zero said:
I cant find anything that says that a device with a HDMI socket is a guarantee of HDCP compliance. Certainly HDMI can support a HDCP connection (as can DVI), but the only difference I can find listed is the support for Audio.
I don't think that you will find a single HDMI chipset that does not support HDCP.

ianh64 said:
I don't think that you will find a single HDMI chipset that does not support HDCP.

The initial HDMI devices didn't support HDCP. It required an another chip. Altough, in reality, I don't know of any HDMI devices that don't support HDCP. It doesn't mean they don't exist though. :rolleyes:

Thanks Mick I thought as much...ref audio qustion.

High-Definition Multimedia Interface Specification Version 1.1 said:
9 Content Protection

9.1 Recommendation
Content protection capability is recommended for all HDMI compliant devices. An HDMI compliant Source should protect all of the protected audiovisual data. Amongst adequate copy protection technologies that are compatible with HDMI, HDCP is available.

9.2 HDCP Implementations
HDCP implementations for HDMI shall adhere to HDCP specification version 1.10.

So it is not mandatory for displays and for sources, depending on the interpretation, it may be mandatory for the source to protect AV data.

IMO, it would be suicidal for a manufacturer to ignore this recommendation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom