HDMI Handshake: Please Help

esprague

Standard Member
Hi Guys:

Sorry for the bother, but I didn't know where to go, other than here and avs forum.

My question is, are HDMI handshake issues common; what I mean is, do they happen from time to time?

The reason I ask is that I'm experiencing a quick audio drop of less than a second: I'd say on average it happens every third or fourth movie, and it is real quick (less than a second). Other than that, I love the sound bar - it's my first one, if you can believe it (Samsung HW-Q70T).

I've read some horror stories when it comes to HDMI handshake issues, so maybe I should be happy that I'm not having a real problem. I also read that they're common and happen from time to time and to varying degrees, depending on the combination of sources used, and that as long as they're not happening frequently, don't worry:

"Occasional issues like this are common. But, if this is happening on a very regular or consistent basis, there are several things that can be tried to solve the handshake issues."

"I know of no components that are 100 percent free of handshake issues. It is unpredictable, and components seem to have varying degrees of handshake issues when used together."

Please feel free to provide any advice here or via direct message. Thanks for your guys' advice, per usual.

Erik

keithwiggins

Hi Guys:

Sorry for the bother, but I didn't know where to go, other than here and avs forum.

My question is, are HDMI handshake issues common; what I mean is, do they happen from time to time?

The reason I ask is that I'm experiencing a quick audio drop of less than a second: I'd say on average it happens every third or fourth movie, and it is real quick (less than a second). Other than that, I love the sound bar - it's my first one, if you can believe it (Samsung HW-Q70T).

I've read some horror stories when it comes to HDMI handshake issues, so maybe I should be happy that I'm not having a real problem. I also read that they're common and happen from time to time and to varying degrees, depending on the combination of sources used, and that as long as they're not happening frequently, don't worry:

"Occasional issues like this are common. But, if this is happening on a very regular or consistent basis, there are several things that can be tried to solve the handshake issues."

"I know of no components that are 100 percent free of handshake issues. It is unpredictable, and components seem to have varying degrees of handshake issues when used together."

Please feel free to provide any advice here or via direct message. Thanks for your guys' advice, per usual.

Erik
yep pretty common across most tvs/soundbars. you could try turning cec off in your menus but you do looses functionality ,also change hdmi cables, that can sometimes help.

esprague

Standard Member
Hey, thanks for the response - I really appreciate it.

After trying different HDMIi's, different blu-ray players, and changing different orders of starting up each component, as well as updating the firmware of the soundbar, I started wondering if maybe I could be wrong, and that it's not an HDMI handshake problem after all.

Then I stumbled upon this thread. What do you guys think?:

Seems to me, I have three options: live with it, go the warranty route (you know constant shipping back-and-forth trouble shooting), or buy a new and different soundbar.

I guess on the one hand, I'm lucky thus far it's only happening for about one second every third or fourth movie on average. I also got a good price on it ($399.00) It's been listed between $600-$700 for a while. It sounds great too.

Please feel free to post any thoughts/advice/help here or message me privately. It's all greatly appreciated. It's nice to hear from you guys; otherwise it feels kind of hopeless and like I'm the only one dealing with this stuff. Thanks again.

Erik

keithwiggins

Hey, thanks for the response - I really appreciate it.

After trying different HDMIi's, different blu-ray players, and changing different orders of starting up each component, as well as updating the firmware of the soundbar, I started wondering if maybe I could be wrong, and that it's not an HDMI handshake problem after all.

Then I stumbled upon this thread. What do you guys think?:

Seems to me, I have three options: live with it, go the warranty route (you know constant shipping back-and-forth trouble shooting), or buy a new and different soundbar.

I guess on the one hand, I'm lucky thus far it's only happening for about one second every third or fourth movie on average. I also got a good price on it ($399.00) It's been listed between $600-$700 for a while. It sounds great too.

Please feel free to post any thoughts/advice/help here or message me privately. It's all greatly appreciated. It's nice to hear from you guys; otherwise it feels kind of hopeless and like I'm the only one dealing with this stuff. Thanks again.

Erik
samsung seem quite progressive when it comes to dealing with firmware issues particularly as it will cost them big bucks if 1000s of folks return hardware.
Have you tried contacting them directly? i would suggest facebook for a respose or ring them, just a thought at least if they are aware they may be able to suggest when a fix will be available.

esprague

Standard Member
The only option they're providing through FB is the repair route. I may call them here soon. But I believe others in that thread tried that and got the same answer with regards to the issue. I'm going to try another soundbar just so I can be absolutely sure it's the soundbar before I call them.

I'm glad I found that thread, though. I was driving myself crazy, so it's good to now it's not me. But I guess that doesn't help any of us out.

In terms of the firmware, I updated both ones they put out in the last several months. The latest one was 16 days ago. No improvement.

Thank you very much for responding. I really appreciate your help/advice.

Erik

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom