hdmi graphics dont look good enough

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by tallpaulos, Feb 8, 2009.

1. tallpaulos

tallpaulos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a PS3 primarily for the blu ray player, although i will still be playing some of the console specific games on it (i have a 360 for online gaming).

Now i dont want to tread on any toes here - i really like both PS3's and 360's. My problem is that i have tried the same demo's (Resi Evil 5, FEAR 2) on both consoles through HDMI on a 40'' Sony W series HDTV (1080p max) & a Samsung 24'' HDMI monitor (1080p max). The graphics are much much better on the 360, even through a VGA cable. Crisper, sharper, more detailed textures, anti-aliasing much better.

This is not what i expected - i thought they'd be very similar. The blu rays and menu system on the ps3 are super sharp (better than 360), the games just dont look as good in any way. I thought maybe it was due to the games being only 720p but even games like Metal gear solid 4 that output in 1080p dont look all that impressive. Call of duty 5 & Gears of war on the 360 kick the living daylights out of anything i've tried on a ps3 yet.

I've tried changing all the settings on the ps3 but to no avail. I feel like i am missing something......sites like gamespot do graphics comparisons & they always come out roughly equal. Any ideas???

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    A lot of PS3 games have a slightly less sharp appearance as they use a blur like technique to get rid of jaggies. That being said its unusual for the difference between both consoles to appear vastly different. Perhaps your TV handles inputs through VGA significantly better than HDMI :confused:.

3. tallpaulos

tallpaulos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest for the 360 the HDMI looks better anyway (removes a slight ghosting effect). For the difference i'm seeing on 2 different displays i'm starting to think its simply that the games dont look as good on a ps3! Example is Resi Evil 5 demo - on the 360 you get an amazing sheen off the skin of both characters that is not present on the ps3. And when you first start one of the levels there is a clip board in view. It looks AWFUL on the ps3, all jagged like a ps2 game.

4. nil102

nil102

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Never noticed the ammount of difference you mention even when playing the same game on different consoles through the same TV via HDMI and switching between the two..I have not played either the demos you mention though, but have generally found it to be 50/50 as to which looked better and even then the difference was small...Perhaps your TV is much better than mine?

5. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    It sounds like you've got something set up wrong.

MGS4 isn't even rendered at 720p native, so i'm not sure where you're getting that information from.

6. tallpaulos

tallpaulos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No i said MGS4 is 1080p & i wasn't impressed by that either, on either tv. Like i said the menu system & blu rays look ace, it's just the games i'm not impressed with - sharpness and textures. Wipeout HD is the best looking game i've found but racing games tend to look good as standard anyway. 1st/3rd person shooters are my usual benchmark.

I've also tried different HDMI cables. One thing i have noticed is that most 360 games say they support 720p/1080i/1080p whereas ps3 is usually 720p. This might just be to do with upscaling on the 360 though - dunno.

7. Giriath

Giriath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Uh, what? I have both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 and I don't see how what you say is possible. Have you tried calibrating your TV for your PS3? Are you really displaying through HDMI? What do you have Full RGB Range set to? It should be limited.

And MGS4 obviously won't look better in 1080p because that's an upscaled resolution. MGS4 doesn't even render natively in 720p. I will compare the RE5 demo and see the results for myself. I don't have a port properly calibrated for my Xbox 360 though, as my DVE Blu-ray disc obviously won't play on it, and my DVD version hasn't arrived yet.

8. nil102

nil102

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Boils down to XBOX360 for games and PS3 for Blu-Ray in that case,but its strange there is such a major difference I have often found the PS3 cross platform games look better and the exclusives have generally looked superb MGS4 inc:confused:

9. tallpaulos

tallpaulos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, fair enough on mgs4 - my tv can output at any resolution anyway so it changes to what the game is supposed to run at - most of the time 720p. Mgs4 point irrelevant anyway - resi evil 5 and fear are my main comparisions. I'm as confused as you - like i said i dont wanna upset any big ps3 fans i just want to make sure i've not missed anything. Yes i have RGB range set to limited. I've had a play with all the settings & put them back to default again. I have also played with my tv settings. But these things are not going to suddenly bring back textures to a game. Surely if the menu looks so good there is nothing i can do???

10. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    I meant the game doesn't even render at 720p, so upscaling it to 1080p is obviously going to make the game suffer.

11. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I think you just need to stop the pointless comparisons and focus on gameplay.

If you really want the best graphics in an FPS buy a PC. So what if some of the cross platform games look a fraction better on the 360. It doesn't really matter and if you focus on the gameplay and stop examining the games you'll forget the differences. It's not as if the graphics look crap on the PS3.

It's still early days in terms of developers getting the best eye candy out of the PS3; It's been said before many times but look how long it took for the best looking PS2 games to appear, many only appeared several years into it's life.

The same is happening with the PS3. Try the demo of Killzone 2 for an example of how the PS3 is improving. The PS3 has a lot more to offer graphically in the next few years.

The PS3 has to be developed for differently to the 360. On the 360 the developer codes the game the same as on a PC with all the graphics rendering being done by the GPU; on the PS3 somem of the CPU cores are used to assist graphical rendering. Unfortunately many lazy developers don't sit down and write games properly for the PS3 they just do a lazy port from the 360/PC version.

This is why you'll find PS3 exclusives will generally look better than cross platform games.

12. incubase

incubase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to hijack but i didn't wanna make a new thread.

anyone got a link for settings my ps3 with a samsung LE46M87BDX ??

thanks

hijack over:thumbsup:

13. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Yes. forum search button here PS3 - AVForums.com

Please don't take threads of topic.

14. tallpaulos

tallpaulos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you read my post properly i wasn't just focusing on 'pointless' comparisons.

The point was to check i wasnt missing something in the settings on my ps3 or hdtv because i expected the ps3 to look better than it does - irrespective of the 360. I've just played mgs4 and it looks better than most but still very average. Nor am i impressed with Killzone 2's graphics. Surely the point of next gen is that you dont have to settle for gameplay.

Anyway, case closed i guess there's nothing wrong with my set up on either of the 2 hdtvs or the ps3, i just set my hopes too high.

Cheers fellas. :thumbsup:

15. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I've got a 720p plasma, a Panasonic 42" PX80 and as a general rule find 360 games are better looking via VGA than the ps3 using hdmi. VGA gives a 1:1 pixel mapped image with the 360 which is superb. However that said many games on the ps3 look absolutely stunning. Wipeout, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Motorstorm, Drakes Fortune and many others. Some games like Timeshift, Fallout 3 and a few others are noticably weaker than 360. Many games are about the same like Burnout. I certainly don't see the ps3 as dramatically worse than 360 just a little bit behind on average. There is no question that the ps3 gpu is a bit weaker than the 360 though. However good developers should be able to overcome this by using the extra processing power available in the ps3 with its cell processor. Developers got passed weaknesses in the ps2 because it was the no.1 platform but with the ps3 its in third place currently and developers aren't as well motivated to push the system but all the time developers are finding out more about the ps3 and development software is approaching the high standard of the 360.

16. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    its always about the gameplay, graphics come second.

the minor differences are all down to lighting and effects that the consoles can handle, or the way it handles them. as for textures not being as crisp, they are in fact exactly the same image but because developers are too lazy to touch up the differences in lighting while they cross it to the other platform one version will always look well, just not as good.
    You will only see any real crisp and much better looking graphics on exclusives that are designed only for the console its developed for.

Im just hoping namco develop tekken 6 for the PS3 then port it to the Xbox, then xbox owners will be on the receiving end of a bad port for once :hiya:

17. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    You're in luck, the arcade version was based on ps3 cell architecture.

Namco: Tekken 6 To Debut PS3 Arcade Board

18. cas398

cas398

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    That's like something a Sony PR would say.

I think these 'comparisons' are very important. Even if it's just slight differences. Of course being over critical isn't really necessary, but having the information out there doesn't hurt.

I don't think we buy HD-TV's and Hi-Def consoles just for gameplay sorry.

19. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    I think uridium made a good point. It's kinda irrelevant if a game looks slightly better on "another console".

It's a bit of a flamebait thread imho. :nono:

If all people cared about was graphics then we'd all be pc gamers. ;)

The graphics on the ps3 look great, on some games they might look slightly better than on another console, on others they might look slightly worse. So what?

Calibrate your screen, get your ps3 settings right, if it's looking the best it can, then that's all that matters isn't it?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  20. Grr Argh

Grr Argh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi there,

This is where you make me think that your initial concerns are well founded. Either your PS3 or your TV is doing something strange as soon as a game is initialised? I just played the Killzone 2 demo and the graphics are awesome. Among the best I've seen on any game on any platform...

21. Bribrian

Bribrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Me and my mate think the PS3 looks rubbish too............

[​IMG]

Seriously though, if it looks that bad there must be something wrong with your set-up.....:confused:

22. SnOpPeR

SnOpPeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have you tried a proper 1080p PS3 game like Wipe Out HD for example? I can't comment on the PS3 vs Xbox as don't own a 360 but wipeout HD running through my 40" Samsung is amazing! :thumbsup:

23. GizmoTheMogwai

GizmoTheMogwai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Killzone 2 looks better on HDMI then any game I have played on 360 on VGA.

24. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    There is no way you are getting a 1:1 pixel mapping out of the 360 on that panel, as the Panny PX80's are 768x1024 (with non-square pixels) not 720x1280 (720p).

I'm not saying the 360 doesn't look better via VGA, just it's not because of 1:1 pixel mapping.

25. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Shouldn't that be reversed 1024x768 and 1280x720. Its common practice to place the horizontal number of pixels first, I know its nit picking but its useful for you to know.

I run my 360 through VGA and PS3 through HDMI and cannot say there is a huge difference in quality although I do think 1:1 pixel mapping certainly helps.

26. Crovon

Crovon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Hi, welcome to the forums!
    Unfortunately you wont get the answer you need here mate, as there are too many defensive people who obviously dont understand that you are worried that there may actually be something wrong with your PS3.

I would suggest maybe trying to get it exchanged and see if there is any difference, its always possible that you could have a faulty one as in the minority as they are. :smashin:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  27. bladedripper

bladedripper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    You can set the 360 to 1024x768 with the vga lead,WHY do people reply to things they have no idear about.:rolleyes:

28. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Of course you can set a x360 to 1024x768, but surely that is for use with 4:3 monitors not 16:9 widescreen panels?

So it'll look stretched in the horizontal?

If the 360 does output @1024x768 in widescreen then i'm very impressed :clap:

29. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    In my experience it's been the opposite. Originally played Burnout Paradise on the 360, then again on the PS3 and I find the latter the better looking.

Have just completed Fallout 3 on 360 and I'm now doing it on PS3 (don't ask, OK!) and the menu's are much cleaner on the PS3 - in-game is no difference.

In general though, I do think the PS3 gives better output over HDMI (with reference to the OP, I too an using a 40" W series Bravia), the 360's HDMI was an afterthough and I think MS added a shoddy implementation of it.

(Am I right in thinking that the PS3 is digital straight through, but the 360 goes through a digital>analogue>digital conversion because of the proprietary video out lead?)

30. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Most 720p 42" 16:9 Plasma TV's also use 1024x768. Due to use of non-square pixels i believe.