HDMI gives grainier picture?

xit2050

Finally got around to installing my new Sony DVP-NS78 to replace my old dvd player.
Overall, not very impressed so far.

I've tried all settings and I honestly don't see any difference between 576i, 720p, 1080i or 1080p output from the dvd player.
So, I guess this means the upscaler in my plasma (Pana TH-42PX80E) is of better quality?

On the positive side: the image seems more vibrant, life-like and is definitely sharper than with my old player connected through scart.
I have however the impression there is a lot more grain in the image that I didn't see with my old player.

Is this normal and due to the sharper image that exposes every detail of the picture or is this a side effect of the upscaling?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I have however the impression there is a lot more grain in the image that I didn't see with my old player.

Depending on the player , and the quality of the scalers , yes this is the type of thing you can expect to see with upscaled SD content.

I have Sky HD and there is a world of difference between the true HD channels and the channels that show upscaled SD content , for example Sky 1 shows a lot of upscaled TV shows and the effect is pretty much what you describe , sharper but with more grain.

I have a number of sources that upscale and some real HD sources , and none of the upscalers would fool me into thinking it was a real HD source.

xit2050

Depending on the player , and the quality of the scalers , yes this is the type of thing you can expect to see with upscaled SD content.

It shows most in backgrounds (e.g. blue sky).

So, would I see less of this grain if I changed to a player with a better quality upscaler in it or would the difference be negligible?

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
the grain is probably edge enhancement from the upscaling and/or sharpness controls set too high. I find a lot of people find an enhanced image "sharp" (it actually isn't) and initially feel that an accurate image is too soft! But try playing with the settings you might be surprised. I would do the Sony on 576p and let the Panasonic upscale, but have the Panasonic sharpness set to zero and use normal or cinema picture modes.

xit2050

The Panasonic setting for sharpness is already all the way down to zero and I've been using Cinema since day one.
The NS78 no longer has a any settings for sharpness or noise reduction or whatever (contrary to my old LS500), so I can't change anything on the side of the dvd player.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom