HDMI for regular Sky?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by paulfoz, Jan 14, 2008.

1. paulfoz

paulfoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Panasonic 42 Plasma, just watch regular sky+, not HD, will a HDMI cable improve my picture? Any other tips welcome.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    You can't use HDMI on sky+ as there simply isn't a HDMI connection. Your options in order of hightest quality are RGB (SCART), S-Video and composite video (yellow video) via the SCART connection. Composite video is the worst and is noticably bad, more so on large screens. HDMI can't improve what is output, it is simply a connection type. If the output is high def, it can use component (red/blue/green also known as YpBpR or YUV), VGA and then DVI (Video only) and finally HDMI. See wikipedia for explanations on the various connection and signal types or hdmi.org as there is a useful FAQ on there.

I would suggest you invest in a decent quality SCART cable e.g. Thor or do a search as there have been a couple of recent threads on the subject and then ensure your sky+ is set to output RGB, 16:9 and SCART control is set to 'on'.

You'll have to go easy on your new TV for the first 200 hours, as I believe that is still recommended for plasma. If you do a search in the plasma forum, there is an owners thread for your TV with recommended setttings. I would recommend you calibrate the screen either using a disc like Digital Video Essentials (DVE) available at the usual DVD e-tailers or using a setup feature on DVD discs like Disney Pixar films e.g. Cars or THX discs like T2 if you have them. This should go a long way to ensuring you get a decent picture from your new TV but as it's a large set, I would recommend getting a high def source for it e.g. sky hd, bluray (PS3) otherwise a large screen plasma is a pointless purchase if you're not going to feed it high def pictures! :D

3. paulfoz

paulfoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TY Dave, all very useful, as u can tell i'm no techno head, lol at my 'pointless purhase' (although i am very happy with it). Could u elaborate on 'going easy for 1st 200hrs).

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Here is a link to Panasonic's FAQ on plasmas. When I have setup plasmas at work (usually cheap and nasty Hitachi or LG jobs, I have followed these sorts of guidelines taken from the plasma forum.

Here are a couple of threads on this:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686414
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686424

No offence mate, when I said a plasma is a pointless purchase! ;) It's just that I know loads of folk that have a flat panel display and either don't realise they're not feeding it a HD signal or they're bitterly disappointed with the Standard Def performance.