1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Flicker Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by russ123, Jan 31, 2005.

1. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Having finally got the M1 adaptor I managed to hook up my Denon 2910 to my Infocus 4805 projector with a Better Cables HDMI lead. I have a problem with flicker whereby every few seconds a horizontal white line appears in the picture and occassionaly it all judders :thumbsdow . This makes it completely unwatchable . I thought I managed to correct it yesterday with a new power lead to the projector but it is back again. Today I tried an admittedly basic surge protector which also claims to help regulate the power supply but it still won't go away. I've checked all the cables etc. As I have never used the hdmi out of the dvd or the input on the projector it is difficult to know where the problem is. All I know is it works fine with analogue. Anyone any idea? :lease:

2. Blue2

Blue2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've a 2910 plugged in to a hs50. I am on my second 2910 unit, both have problems with HDMI out, the first would not sync at all, and the second periodically looses the signal (couple of times per dvd).

Using DVI (and a DVI to HDMI cable) the 2910 is fine. I got mine from Krish av, who (i have subsequently found out from Denon) are not a registered UK Denon dealer. I would be interested to find out if it was a 'grey import' issue. Denon were helpful, and Krish replaced the unit no problem, i hope they will again if it is still doing it in a week or so.
    b

3. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    My 2910 would be classified as a grey import as it is a unit I sourced from Hong Kong. Imagine I am not going to get much help from Denon UK (my fault I know). As it came supplied with a UK style 3 pin plug and the voltage is the same I can't see how this could be labelled a grey import issue. My 4805 I got from the US but again the unit is designed to work on UK voltage and I doubt the official UK model differs. It all syncs up perfectly everytime. I am inclined to think it is more likely some "noise" being introduced somewhere as I originally cured it by switching power leads. Interesting thought to try out a dvi to hdmi cable and the dvi output of the dvd but having already paid out for a straight hdmi lead I dont want to buy another unless I know this will fix it.

4. DaveC

DaveC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The only real difference between the signal from HDMI and the one from DVI should be the lack of sound data transmitted over DVI. Is there an option on your player to disable the sound output through HDMI ... save you messing about with new cables?

Although the video portion of the HDMI standard is identical to the DVI standard, HDMI has additional sound data transmitted during "blanking areas" of the data bursts (ie between frames). It's possible that your combination of transmitter and reciever chips could be struggling and the additional sound data is pushing it over the edge?

5. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks DaveC. However it seems on the 2910 you cannot completely turn off the sound over HDMI. For this the manual says to use the 2channel option which is what mine is set to.

6. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Another difference is the picture forat sent via HDMI you get both RGB and component.
    DVI is just RGB.
    Do you know the firmware version on your 1910?