hdmi fibre optic cable issue

pioneerman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Im having an issue with my yamaha rxv 1080 and my atzebe fibre optic cable any advise would be appreciated.
My old set up was with an older yamaha amp with no HDMI passthrough, so my fibre optic cable was connected from my projector directly to either sky or my blue ray player with out any issues. Now i have the rxv1080 the fibre optic cable will not work through the passthrough but it does directly to my sky or blue ray player.
I tried another HDMI cable i have a 4k 2.0b cable 4x4x4 18gb hdcp 2.2 and it works fine no issues. Hopefully there's a fix for this so i can benefit from the fibre optic cable.

I'm affraid that the fix would be to buy a different hypbrid HDMI over fibre cable. If the cable you already have doesn't work then there's not a lot or anything you can do to remedy this.

GDMI over fibre would still be your best optiuon for longer than normal cable runs though. Just try a different make than the one you already have.

thanks for your reply
its just strange how the atzebe fibre optic works fine directly to the source but not through the receiver, I'm thinking that the atzebes connector has a metal casing and my other cable does not
maybe this is the issue with the receiver.

both my cables are 15 metres and both work fine but the atzebe just has the issue when plugged into the receiver.

Some cables work with some devices, but less capable cables do and will exhibit issues with other with some devices that are not apparent if not using that device. If not working with your AV receiver then I can only suggest you look at getting a different cable.

What happens if you try sending a video sugnal that requires less bandwidth? Does the issue persist regardless of the resolution and type of video you are attempting to convey?

Have you also ensured that the AV receiver's 4K mode is set to MODE 1?

by default 2021-10-06 at 14.55.11.png

Last edited:
thanks dante01 - until i find a solution i can still use the other cable which surprisingly works ok through the receiver (which was £20 and the aztebe was £60) 🤔

found this from joe fernand-

''Power is possibly the issue as your Fibre cable has to ‘steal’ power from the Source, Sync (Display) or both - you may have to add a 5V inserter into the Source > AVR signal path when using the Fibre cable.''

Price really isn't a reflection of quality when it comes to HDMI cables. Some of the cheaper cables prove to be more reliable than the more expensive options. They should all be compliant with what is required of them irrespective of the packaging and ad campaigns their brand manufacturers employ. Their are even expensive cables that come in wooden presentation boxes. Not too sure as to how the box improves the signal?

HDMI over fibre will cost more than conventional copper HDMI cabling though.

Some cables work with some devices, but less capable cables do and will exhibit issues with other with some devices that are not apparent if not using that device. If not working with your AV receiver then I can only suggest you look at getting a different cable.

What happens if you try sending a video sugnal that requires less bandwidth? Does the issue persist regardless of the resolution and type of video you are attempting to convey?

Have you also ensured that the AV receiver's 4K mode is set to MODE 1?

View attachment 1582264
will check this out:smashin:

found this from joe fernand-

''Power is possibly the issue as your Fibre cable has to ‘steal’ power from the Source, Sync (Display) or both - you may have to add a 5V inserter into the Source > AVR signal path when using the Fibre cable.''

Yes, power is a variable. Active HDMI cabling shoul;dn't technically draw power from the source, but they do because where else would they get the power they need from?

Hybrid cables are active and do require power to convert the HDMI signal to optical and back again.

Last edited:
It's a really popular cable that lots of us use (me included) without any issues. So it does point towards perhaps an issue with the Yamaha not providing enough power on it's outputs to cope with it or a particular set up issue. Is it the only output connected? Sometimes TV's and PJ's can cause HDMI sync issues if both are connected?

Yes both tv and projector are connected but with the cheaper cable no issues.
tried individually as well.

Last edited:
will check this out:smashin:
It seems as though my manual is different and dosnt have this option.
Thanks for the replys guys will stick with the chunky copper based cable in the meantime.

The 4K mode is only accessible via the ADVANCED settings. THese require a special key combination be pressed on the receiver itself. The ADVANCED settings will be listed in the manual.

The 4K mode is only accessible via the ADVANCED settings. THese require a special key combination be pressed on the receiver itself. The ADVANCED settings will be listed in the manual.
Ok thanks

Plenty of people use HDMI over fibre with Yamaha AV receivers without issue.

Just received Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V4A. eArc sound cuts out using HDMI Fibre 7m.
It works just fine using 2 cheap copper cables connected via coupler.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom