HDMI Extension - Flickering 4K @ 60hz

sirbadger

I have a Roku 4K stick that I have plugged into my Sony HT Z9F, all works fine but eventually it overheats so I need an extension cable to get it away from the soundbar.

I purchased the following:

When I use it the screen flickers almost constantly when set to 4:2:2, if I change to 4:2:0 it flickers every 5-10 seconds.

Now for the confusing part, if I plug the extension directly into the TV it works, no flickering..

Can anyone suggest why? and/or link to an extension cable they know will work?

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Roku - are you seeing an 'overheating' message on screen? I believe the Roku player will let you know when it is too hot.

The HDMI socket on your Soundbar may not be outputting quite enough power to cope with the HDMI 'Extension' cable between it and the player.

As you have indicated the extension cable is fine when installed between the TV and the Player it gets tricky to predict what will happen with a different extension cable.

You could try installing a 5v HDMI power injector (with external PSU) on the Extension cable when using it between the Roku player and the Soundbar - that way the Roku will be powered by the injector rather than the Soundbar.

Joe

sirbadger

Yes, I'm getting an on-screen warning after watching content for a short while.

I'm powering the Roku stick via USB, didn't know power via HDMI was a thing?!

sirbadger

ah ok. thanks

so an update, i found a short extension lead (the type that comes with a firestick) and that works 😑 So problem solved, but not sure why! :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Good you got it sorted - the length of the original HDMI extension you were using combined with the capabilities of the HDMI port on the Soundbar was the likely issue.

Joe

sirbadger

The HDMI extension was only 1m. Unfortunately i don't have any other 4k content sources to see if its limited to just the roku.