HDMI extender remote problem

MikeSmith

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just fitted two HDMI cat6 extenders to send signal from sky+HD box to tv in another room approx 40m apart. I used two extenders supplied by HD connectivity with the optional IR sender. After fitting I got a perfect signal and was able to operate the sky box using the sky remote. So for so good. Unfortunately the tv remote will not work when receiving a signal through the extenders, which I need to do to control the volume or change the input to watch a DVD or use other device plugged into the tv. I have tried removing the IR sender, but this makes no difference to the tv remote. It has been suggested to me that the cause could be IR flooding. Can anyone please explain what this is and the cause and how to rectify.

Thanks

Mike

Are you saying that your room two (R2) TV can't be controlled at all by its own (R2) remote while it has an HDMi cable connected?

"IR flooding" occurs when some other source of infrared is swamping the TV's IR sensor so it is effectively "blinded". I fail to see what that has to do with an HDMI connection.

Simple test: Turn Off the Sky box using the Sky remote. Will your TV remote now operate the TV?

Answers please..........

Hi Martin & Neil,

Yes that is exactly right Martin the remote for the tv in room two will not operate when the HDMI cable from the extender is plugged in. The remote works perfectly well if you change he input manually on the tv, still leaving the HDMI cable plugged in. I have two HDMI inputs on he tv and the remote will not work once you have selected the port from the extender.

Mike

Neil,

With the sky box off the tv remote will not work with the extender plugged in. Unplug and it woks ok

Mike

Thanks.

OK, disconnect the CAT cable from the R2 extender. If the remote still won't control the TV, there's an incompatibility between extender and TV.

I have two HDMI inputs on he tv and the remote will not work once you have selected the port from the extender.

What happens if you switch the HDMI cables on the TV's inputs?

Martin,

If I remove the cat6 cables from the extender at e tv end the remote still doesn't work. If I remove the HDMI cable from the extender it does. So it does seem if there is either something wrong with the extender or a compatibility problem.

Neil,

If I switch the HDMI cable from one input to the other the problem transfers to that port.

the remote for the tv in room two will not operate when the HDMI cable from the extender is plugged in
What about when that is not plugged in, and the HDMI cable from another device is plugged in?

Both HDMI ports work perfectly well with other HDMI devices plugged in, it is only when the extender is plugged in that the remote will not work when the input is selected. If I change the input using switches on the tv the remote works ok

I had the same thing with an avarva hdmi extender swamped all my other ir it was constantly giving out a signal, I ended up swapping it for a different unit

Did you swap it for another ararva unit or a different make, if what did you use?

I swapped it for a cyp puma pu-106. Which works perfectly on sky hd and has responsive ir feedback

There shouldn't be anything in the extension room that gives out IR at all.:confused:
Can you link us to the extender?

OK - thanks - it's what I expected to see - only a lot pricier!
You have to be right that "there is either something wrong with the extender or a compatibility problem".
That's something you'll need to take up with the supplier or the maker.
As M P said this can't be about IR flooding, or about IR at all.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom