HDMI Extender Quality/Picture Question

Cbaur88

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, new to the forum and not so knowledgeable with cables and TV technology. Short background we mounted a TV on the wall, cable box is in a different room (not very far). Length was a bit far for a HDMI cable not to mention it would have been extremely difficult to fish it behind the walls. Instead I was able to fish a couple of CAT5e cables and went with an HDMI Extender solution.

So far so good, however I wanted to ask this question. Am I losing any quality with this setup? Am I still able to get 4k and all the new fancy quality features new TV's have these days. We are looking to move this current Smart TV into another room for our kids and upgrade to a new TV. However I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a new high end TV if some of these new picture and quality features aren't able to be fully utilized running over a HDMI Extender.

Right now am looking at a Samsung 6 or 7 Series but also interested in the 8 series but want to make sure that the picture quality will show being its going over an HDMI. I also need to actually check the quality of the HDMI cables being used from the extender to the TV. Thanks so much in advance for your time and help!

'Over CAT' Extenders come in many variations - at the top of the pile the latests generation kit will cater for all of the latest video and audio formats you source and TV supports, of course you only need to support the 'best' format the Source device you are connecting over CAT cable is capable of Outputting.

Some of what your TV can deliver will only be applicable, in your system, to the TV's onboard streaming Apps so not relevant, in terms of your HDMI Extender, to what your Set-top box is capable of, which is often pretty limited.

HDMI cables - for short (2m) cables pretty much anything will work for you, if you hit a problem with any existing cables and have to purchase New cables look for the office High Speed, Premium High Speed or Ultra High Speed certification logo on the cables you purchase.

HDMI Cables Overview - HDMI

No mention of an AVR in your post?

Joe

'Over CAT' Extenders come in many variations - at the top of the pile the latests generation kit will cater for all of the latest video and audio formats you source and TV supports, of course you only need to support the 'best' format the Source device you are connecting over CAT cable is capable of Outputting.

Some of what your TV can deliver will only be applicable, in your system, to the TV's onboard streaming Apps so not relevant, in terms of your HDMI Extender, to what your Set-top box is capable of, which is often pretty limited.

HDMI cables - for short (2m) cables pretty much anything will work for you, if you hit a problem with any existing cables and have to purchase New cables look for the office High Speed, Premium High Speed or Ultra High Speed certification logo on the cables you purchase.

HDMI Cables Overview - HDMI

No mention of an AVR in your post?

Joe

Thanks for your reply Joe much appreciated! I will re-look at some of the HDMI Extenders, most I've looked at have a lower refresh rate than that of the TV, again not being good with this stuff I don't know if that makes a difference.?

No audio video receiver in my current setup.

Refresh rate - again the capabilities of the Source device(s) and what it can output is all you need worry about, the TV may be able to double or triple 'flash' the incoming signal (True motion etc) but that is not relevant to the signal your HDMI cable or Extender are capable of carrying.

List out the capabilities of your Source device(s) - those are the Features you need your Extender to cater for.

Joe

Refresh rate - again the capabilities of the Source device(s) and what it can output is all you need worry about, the TV may be able to double or triple 'flash' the incoming signal (True motion etc) but that is not relevant to the signal your HDMI cable or Extender are capable of carrying.

List out the capabilities of your Source device(s) - those are the Features you need your Extender to cater for.

Joe

Starting to make sense to me now Joe thanks again. When you say source device I assume you are referring to my cable box/set top box (Comcast is my provider)? That is what we primarily use to watch TV along with the built in TV apps such as Netflix, Prime, etc... Thanks again for your help!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom