HDMI Extender over Wifi Network adapter

crackerdooby

Standard Member
Im trying to extend my Sky HD signal from my living room to my bedroom.

I have been looking in to the HDMI extenders over Cat5/6 but unfortunately my house doesn't have Network cable running everywhere (and dont want put it in myself either).

I have looked in to the HDMI over Powerline solutions but this looks a new technology and expensive (e.g. HD Juice Box - £330)

I was wondering if anyone has thought of the option of using a "Universal Wifi adapter" (e.g. NETGEAR WNCE2001) with the HDMI extenders? Or would this have a problem that the normal HDMI extenders dont use ethernet?

This is what I was thinking:

SKY - HDMI Splitter (to TV and Extender) - HDMI Extender (single cable) - NETGEAR WNCE2001 - "Wifi Router" - NETGEAR WNCE2001 - HDMI Extender Receiver - Bedroom TV

Im aware there maybe a bandwith issue but wonder if the principle would work?

Thanks

Gary

Gadgetcity

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone has thought of the option of using a "Universal Wifi adapter" (e.g. NETGEAR WNCE2001) with the HDMI extenders? Or would this have a problem that the normal HDMI extenders dont use ethernet?

HDMI extenders use CAT5/6 cable to transport a high bandwidth signal. As you mention they don't use Ethernet protocol, and for the similar reasons it won't work over WiFi.

To get the signal over WiFI you would need to encode it to something like H.264 using a capture card (with some loss of quality), then transmit that over (a good) WiFi channel, and then receive it with a decoder (PC or laptop) to then display on the TV. (a very messy and expensive solution compared to running a CAT6 cable)

crackerdooby

Standard Member
Thanks for the Reply!

Do you think these HDMI over Powerline solutions are doing this encoding then so it works over Ethernet?

Wondering how long it would take for these to come down in price!

Gadgetcity

Established Member
Do you think these HDMI over Powerline solutions are doing this encoding then so it works over Ethernet?

Most appear to be encoding as H.264 so you lose quality and introduce a delay. I don't believe any actually extend HDMI like the CAT5/6 cable boxes do - they just compress and send as IP data using the same technique as Homeplugs (some include an Ethernet port so you can share the bandwidth with the video).

There might be better ones but they all seem pretty expensive to me for what they actually offer. If you can get a cable there then do that instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom