HDMI error with Bravia KDL40W + PS3 (HELLLLLPP!)

Cube

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

I've already posted this on a different section of this forum but have had no luck yet so in the hope of figuring this problem out im posting it here too.

Recently I got a bravia kdl40w and got a ps3 through redemption.
While waiting for my ps3 i tried a friends 60 gig ps3, looked great full HD.

Finally my ps3 arrived i tired 3 different hdmi cables and got a problem which is a blurry and pixel lated image, the tv does receive the signal as 1080p but just not displayed properly.

Ive tried my friends 60 gig console again and his same hdmi cable, same problem.
tried a friends 40 gig model and had the same problem.
Have tried 3 different hdmi cables and same thing.

Ive even tried my ps3 on a bravia V series, although its not full hd you can easily tell that the image is still blurry and pixel lated.

Contacted sony both on playstation and TV centers, and both were not very helpful. I get the feeling its the tv settings but im no wiz with these things.

So PLEASE, if any one has any suggestions or advice please offer some assistance. Im almost at my wits end here. sony said i should send ps3 back but im not sure if that is the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

What have you got the display settings in the ps3 menu set to?

When the ps3 is connected to your tv,press the power button on the unit for about 10 seconds,this should reset everything, then set the ps3 to output 720p only,then see if there's an improvement.

try and turn up your sharpness and turn off all special features in tv settings

I've got the ps3 running on 1080p, the tv does register it, has 1080p on the top corner when its turned on, its just that the image is very blurry and pixel lated,
I've got cross color reduction filter - off
RGB full range - limited

y pb/cb/pr/cr super-white - off

Hi

You have said you have tried friend’s ps3 and cables, but to eliminate the ps3 and cable have you tried yours on their TV, if ok you know it is the TV that is the issue

First of all the Sony V series Bravia is FULL HD just like the W series :rolleyes:

You said you had a mates PS3 on your TV that looked great but then you tried it again and it looked bad? You tried other PS3s on your TV and they all look bad ? You then tried your PS3 on a V series (Full HD) and it looked bad?

Hmmm, it sounds as though every PS3 and TV combination you have tried looks bad? If this is the case then all i can suggest is that you need help seeting up the TV and PS3.

I have not had a chance to try my ps3 on a mates tv but I did try it on the V series bravia (my bad, didnt know it was full hd)

I am starting to think it may just be the tv settings, im at work at the moment so i cant do much, but when i get home ill be able to play with the settings. Is there anything i should be looking out for in the settings of my bravia?

Thanks for the reponses so far, much appreciated

Hello

I've already posted this on a different section of this forum but have had no luck yet so in the hope of figuring this problem out im posting it here too.

Recently I got a bravia kdl40w and got a ps3 through redemption.
While waiting for my ps3 i tried a friends 60 gig ps3, looked great full HD.

Finally my ps3 arrived i tired 3 different hdmi cables and got a problem which is a blurry and pixel lated image, the tv does receive the signal as 1080p but just not displayed properly.

Ive tried my friends 60 gig console again and his same hdmi cable, same problem.
tried a friends 40 gig model and had the same problem.
Have tried 3 different hdmi cables and same thing.

Ive even tried my ps3 on a bravia V series, although its not full hd you can easily tell that the image is still blurry and pixel lated.

Contacted sony both on playstation and TV centers, and both were not very helpful. I get the feeling its the tv settings but im no wiz with these things.

So PLEASE, if any one has any suggestions or advice please offer some assistance. Im almost at my wits end here. sony said i should send ps3 back but im not sure if that is the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

First of all you don't say what tv you have, is it a w3000 or w4000 as there is a difference, one has the new XMB menu system and the other has the old.

If your tv worked ok with your mates ps3 the first time you connected it and now it does not then that would suggest you changed a setting in the tv, so reset the tv back to factory settings and start again, the reset is in one of the menu settings, should be easy to find, then post back.

Mark.

Odd, i can't imagine ANY simple setting change that would render a really poor image on the W3000 but indeed you said first of all your mates' ps3 looked great, then it didn't.

Do a search on the LCD forum on this site, there's a whole massive thread with optimum W3000 settings...

From your post, it's the TV settings. Everything else has been eliminated. Well apart from the V series also looking bad.

So it's blurry, and the settings that affect sharpness are...

Noise reduction.. off.. eliminates blurring.

Sharpness..up.

And then making sure that you are directly connected to the Tv, or via an amp, or DVD Player. Where amp/dvd need to be 1080p compliant, and also adjusted for video output correction.

The model of tv i have is the KDL40W3100.

I've just done the factory reset for the tv and tried the game again.
It has the same problem.

I've also turned off noise reduction and sharpness all the way, it makes no difference unfortunately.

The PS3 is directly connected to the tv, I have nothing else connected, not even an antenna. I've also already tried the other hdmi ports.

I did play around with the settings of the tv and they really didnt make a difference to the pixelation or blurriness apart from game mode, but you can still tell its there.

Thanks for the link, i'll take a look through it.

thanks again

have you got any power cables close to your hdmi cable, also try and change power socket your tv is plugged into . worth try anything

W3100 ? Is it a Euro/US model or something ?

Lots of sites sell this in Australia, so it's probably from there.

I had a 40w3000 a while back and the ps3 pic through HDMI was stunning, can you post a good quality pic of what your describing just so we can better understand your problem.

Mark.

As you can see from my sig, so have I, and yes it's an amazing pic, so something weird must be going on...as said, pics would be great...

Mark, how come you "had" one, why not anymore....to go off-topic for a while...

As you can see from my sig, so have I, and yes it's an amazing pic, so something weird must be going on...as said, pics would be great...

Mark, how come you "had" one, why not anymore....to go off-topic for a while...

I was gutted having to part with that tv, best pic i have seen for a long time, but i had the dreaded purple/green tint that so many others had and wasn't going to wait for months for Sony to come up with a fix, as they now have done, i now have an inferior 40d3500 which is a temp until Sony bring out the LED backlight tv's later this year.

Mark.

Ill take some pictures and hopefully have them up by tonight

Can you state if the picture is poor regardless of whether it is the XMB PS3 menu, a bluray disc or a game.

Try connecting via the free leads that came with the PS3 to establish if HDMI is the culprit.

Here are the pics, that seems to be the best i could manage, but on the one with the car it is more noticeable. That is lost planet by the way on 720p

I have tried the av cables and it looks worse, originally i figured that was because of the tv been hd and the av cable not.

I contacted sony and they pretty much have no clue, theyve told me that i should just sent the ps3 in but i dont know if that is the problem.

Im not sure if this would make a difference but my home does have a Satellite dish for pay tv for multi language channels. could that cause
Interference?

If you need clear pics ill try again with different settings for the camera or game. 1080p games look abit less pixel lated but not by much.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 151
Here are the pics, that seems to be the best i could manage, but on the one with the car it is more noticeable. That is lost planet by the way on 720p

I have tried the av cables and it looks worse, originally i figured that was because of the tv been hd and the av cable not.

I contacted sony and they pretty much have no clue, theyve told me that i should just sent the ps3 in but i dont know if that is the problem.

Im not sure if this would make a difference but my home does have a Satellite dish for pay tv for multi language channels. could that cause
Interference?

If you need clear pics ill try again with different settings for the camera or game. 1080p games look abit less pixel lated but not by much.

The colours look wrong, maybe you have the RGB set to Full when it should be limited, or Vice-Versa.

Might be worth you showing us some pics of the PS3s menu graphics.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom