HDMI equipped DVD player query - Arcam or Pioneers ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rags, May 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I need a HDMI equipped player and am seriously considering the DV79. I know the Pioneer 668 and 868 are good too but the Arcam should be better for CD playback.

AFAIK of the three models listed above only the 868 has a built in scaler - but given the posts I have read its probably best to feed the Pioneer HDE plasma with a 576 or 480 signal and let the media box scale it. My question is then why would anyone buy the 868 over the 668 give that the scaler in the 868 just makes the situation worse for PQ (I assume that the image is scaled twice - first by the DVD player and then by the plasma) ? Why would so many people spend nearly double getting the 868 ?

Thanks

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    because ther will be screens/projectors available with HDMI that use one of the reselutions offered by th 868 possibly one of the sim2 or sony projectors for example?

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Agreed - but so many people buy the 868 with the Pioneer HDE plasmas (outnumbering those who buy the 668).

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Buy the Pioneer. I'll take it off you when you ugrade for the 10th time!

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    How could you possible go for anything other than the 79, after owning the 89.
    You know the PQ is not ganner be as good with anything else.

I could see why you would consider the 868 if you were upgradeing from some other pio, tosh, sony, denon, panny, or maybe a couple of months ago, before the 79 was released.
    But you have since been the owner of the 89, so you will not be totally happy unless you get the arcam..........

You know it makes sense.

OT a bit, but i take it from your main question that you went for a Pio plasma instead of the sony sx300..........is it so..........????.......i was hoping you was ganner go for the sx300 and be the first to give a review of the sony SX range, as i was thinking of one and cannot quite justifi, to myself getting a pio plasma.....................but then again..............OH crap ere we go...!!!:rolleyes:

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the 868 I heard offers somewhat improved sound quality...... i also doubt that most people realise that the HDE has any issues.....

ad

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Buns - The only issues I have read about are around the inflexibilty of the Media box (esp if you want to connect a proper external scaler etc). TBH I wont be doing this and really wanted a TV foremost and not a display. The HDE Picture quality is one of the best out there at the moment in a straight comparison (without scalers etc).

My only concern with the Arcam was the lack of an internal scaler (but on paper this seems detrimental with the HDE) so was thinking about the 868 - If the 868 only offers better sound than the 668 surely this means the Arcam is the one to go for. It should kill the 868 in the sound stakes and its the same price as well.

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    the 868 also offers more picture adjustments, and as said has improved sound quality and that small thing called I-Link which makes a nice difference if you have a compatable amp.

I would very much doubt there will be very much pic diff between the 868 and 79. I think you should be looking to see how de-interlacing and CUE is handled to determin which is best between these two.

My friend had an early(very early) 868i which had to go in for repair and now its back the firmware is updated and its CUE problems are all but gone. the arcams use to suffer quite bad so i would take a gander at that first.

the 868i via my PJs HDMI input is stunning, not quite up to the A11 via DVI but dam close and without the macroblocking

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Not sure it has bad CUE in 79 (or others) in fact the latest Arcam have been pretty damn good in this respect and been the new choice of SDI modders because of the piccy quality.

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    man this new interface sucks.

My experience is with the 27 and 27a which both have CUE, the latter was an improvement however. but there silicon image de-interlacer didnt feature the CUE filter.

Hopefully the new 79 is CUE free

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as I know the video circuitry between 27 and 27a is identical save for a few very early units..... maybe im wrong.

As Nic says, the 27 and derivatives are the choice for sdi modding..... given the status of those who have chosen it, the CUE matter cannot be the enormous problem it is made out as.

Ad

12. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Fair enough, but if its SDI modded youll be running it through a quality scaler/deinterlacer which will have a filter, so won`t be an issue will it.

27A was a pretty good dec though if seriously overpriced, but if it wasnt for macroblocking the denon A11 would be a clear winner.

But then CUE bothers me, some can live withit i guess.

13. friend

friend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a infocus 7200 pj and a sony 7700 dvdp.
    I have made a comparison between the 2 and the pionner offers a 15% imporvement in picture over the 7700 via component (the hdmi connection can not lock).
    But the 868 is 20% worse in sound quality than my old Sony.
    So i am also confused which of the 2 (868 or 79) i will buy.
    Unfortunatelly i haven't seen the picture quality of the new 79.
    Someone said that the sound quality of 79 is great what about its picture quality compared to the 868.
    Any suggetions ... :lease:

14. jonjon

jonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just tested a pioneer and arcam dvd with hdmi and, having been sceptical over hdmi after viewing it on the pioneer, i am a convert.

the quality of the image and the audio from the dv79 was superior to the pioneer, i was supprised, even my bird noticed!!

me thinks it'll be a new arcam set-up with my pioneer 434hde :smashin:

15. SL Boy

SL Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also just auditioned the 868 and DV79. Nothing to choose on the picture side but the 79 has far superior sound quality on both CD and DVD Audio. Shall be buying the 79 to go with a 50 inch Pioneer HDE 504 plasma.

16. friend

friend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SLBoy could you write your opinion in terms of picture quality !!!!

17. SL Boy

SL Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    both 868 and DV79 were viewed using HDMI link to a Pioneer HDE 504. I could not tell the difference between the two pictures which provided the best plasma experience I have ever seen.

18. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Hey SL Boy - sounds like you and me are buying the same kit - 504HDE with the DV79 :smashin: