HDMI Elbow connections

Conrad.

Quick question. I just picked up a new PJ (collecting tomorrow) and I need to keep as much clearance at the back as possible. Connections on this PJ are at the back vs my current one which is on the side.

I'm using a 15m fibre HDMI cable at the moment and I'd like to put a 90 degree elbow connector on the end of it. Is the recommendation still to use a short cable like this: Amazon product over an elbow connector?

Anything to watch out for?

Thanks in advance

Otto Pylot

All you can do is try. Hybrid fiber cables are active so they need to draw power from the HDMI port and an elbow connector may impede that. If the elbow connector causes you problems then you could try a voltage inserter (which supplies a constant 5v/500mA current to the cable) which the HDMI cable connects to, and then that connects to the HDMI port. You do need a USB power supply which can be from your tv if there is a port available. The voltage inserters ususally have about a 17" cable from the USB end to the inserter so you have room to play. That being said, you would now have two connections between the cable and the pj (voltage inserter and the elbow connector) and active fiber cables are best installed source to sink, with no adapters, extenders, wall plates, etc in-between.

Conrad.

Thanks. I've ordered the shorter version so I guess I'll find out.

Otto Pylot

It's not the length, it's the "break" in the active HDMI chain that may cause reliability issues.

Conrad.

Understood, thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom