hdmi earc to arc question - denon avr2400h - Samsung QE75Q80AATXXU

wakkaday

Standard Member
hi

i hope i can get some advice

my tv has an e arc port and my denon reciever has a standard arc hdmi port, i have connected a hdmi cable to and from tv-reciever
but i get a pop up on the tv

'Receiver (HDMI) Your audio device is connected to a port that does not support ARC. Please connect your device to the HDMI 3 (ARC) port'

all my devices are connected to the reciever (fire stick - mainly use), playstation 5, and my nintendo switch

at first sound wasn't always coming out of the reciever and i had to change the output in the tv settings to the 'reciever' as it was showing 'tv speaker' but i have had a play with the settings and it now to seems to always output sound via the reciever - which is good, although i do get the pop up alert (as mentioned above)

the questions i have, is there a setting which i need to configure so the reciever is the main output of sound? (will i be able to get rid of the short pop up which appears)

if i want to use the Samsung TV apps, is it possible to get the sound out of my reciever? (i have to change to to 'tv speaker' for this to work?) if i get an optical cable just for this particular use, would that work and enable sound from the reciever?)

the tv has a single hdmi 2.1 port, my reciever doesn't have this. if i connect the ps5 to this tv port directly, can i still get sound from my reciever?

is it worth upgrading my reciever, denon avr2400h to a newer model with 2.1 ports?

Thanks

gibbsy

The TV and the Denon are having handshake issues. The eARC on the TV will only work if you had a new eARC capable AV amp. Even then there are numerous reported problems with eARC between certain manufacturers. I suggest you disable ARC and eARC on both devices and connect the TV to the Denon via digital optical.

Unless you are using an Atmos set up you will experience no loss of audio performance as all streaming services use lossy Dolby Digital SD audio. ARC and optical are both restricted to 5.1 Dolby Digital.

As you have a PS5 you will need to connect it to the 2.1 port directly on the TV. Optical will give you the 5.1 Dolby for audio. A new AV amp, all Denons and Marantz supplied after May this year have the new 2.1 HDMI port fitted. That would allow for you to go back to using the AV amp as a HDMI hub.

Bad time to buy though with prices remaining very high. If you can live with the workarounds I would suggest you do so for at least the rest of this year until prices and availability improves.

I'm moving this thread to AV Receivers and Amps as you'll get more information and help there.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I read that popup as stating the Receiver (Denon) is not plugged into the correct input of the TV set.

Check the cable from Denon out is in HDMI 3 on the TV?

wakkaday

Standard Member
Yep is it hdmi 3 arc, yeh the pop up message doesn't make senser
but the reciever doesnt have an e-arc, so i assume its related to that

With an optical coinnection, this wont automatically switch inputs will it?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yep is it hdmi 3 arc, yeh the pop up message doesn't make senser
but the reciever doesnt have an e-arc, so i assume its related to that

With an optical coinnection, this wont automatically switch inputs will it?

Even if a device is eARC enabled, it woulf still be also ARC compliant. THere may however be seperate settings for ARC and eARC. If the AV receiver is only ARC compliant then ensure that the TV's ARC configurations are set to an option that relates to ARC as opposed to eARC. Some TV's give you the option of selecting either eARC or ARC as opposed to a universal setting for both.

Also note that conventional ARC will require that HDMI CEC be engaged and unlike eARC, ARC depends upon HDMI CEC for its functionality. You can turn CEC off if using eARC, but not if wanting to use conventional ARC.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom