HDMI Earc or Direct through AMP

Darloal

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,

I’ve slowly been updating my set up, but after a chat with SHMBO I’m getting new Amp - a Denon AVCX3700 and swapping out my old kef eggs.

My TV a Samsung QLED Q90 has a HDMI box separate from the tv. The TV has apps like Disney+ Netflix etc - which get used a lot!
Plus HDMI inputs coming from SkyQ and a PS5.
I current have those HDMI slots full and EARC the sound back my soon to be replaced Onkyo 808.
The old AMP doesn’t support the newer Dolby formats, the tv does, but it terms of sound 5.1 wise I think its done very well for past 8 years or so.

However with the new Amp coming do I..
1. Keep the HDMI’s as is and EARC back to the Denon?
2. Push all the HDMI’s into amp and have one hi end cable going into the tv (I’d still have to earc back for any tv apps)
3. Will it matter or either actually make a difference??

i’m concerned with option 2 - will apps on the tv but treated any different to the external sources?
Ie I’m going to have earc them anyway so what advantage (if or any will hdmi’s being direct through the amp actually have?)

the Mrs and kids use the app swapping on the tv
- it just works.
Will anything change via option 2? - as I think the tv would just see the amp as one app not the inputs going to it (skyq ps5)
I think I’ve answered my own question with that statement above, but keen to hear opinions

lastly for audio and visual fidelity which way is best?

tia

Al

what is the amp in question ? since the above is very much suggested to do with new amps. ie hook up source to display and earc full bandwidth audio back to AVR. see the sound united(denon& marantz) video below... and i see you have the PS5..

maximum compatibility with still delivering all the benefit... earc is the key...

re the sky box or anything else hook up either way.. to display or to the avr... doesnt matter...

You have basically answered your own questions. Having SkyQ linked directly by HDMI to the Denon would be the easiest and somewhat neater approach. Going through the Denon will aid in sorting out any lip sync problems. Providing you have i/p scaler turned off and the 4K enhanced mode turned on then there should be no drop in video quality going through to the TV.

PS5 could be more of a problem, see below, with gaming at 120hz and that, should it be important for you, bypass the Denon and go directly into the TV. You will still be able to get full HD audio back to the Denon via eARC, as you would any audio from the TV's Apps.

what is the amp in question ? since the above is very much suggested to do with new amps. ie hook up source to display and earc full bandwidth audio back to AVR. see the sound united(denon& marantz) video below... and i see you have the PS5..

maximum compatibility with still delivering all the benefit... earc is the key...

re the sky box or anything else hook up either way.. to display or to the avr... doesnt matter...

Great video! Thanks! The amp is Denon AVCX3700

You have basically answered your own questions. Having SkyQ linked directly by HDMI to the Denon would be the easiest and somewhat neater approach. Going through the Denon will aid in sorting out any lip sync problems. Providing you have i/p scaler turned off and the 4K enhanced mode turned on then there should be no drop in video quality going through to the TV.

PS5 could be more of a problem, see below, with gaming at 120hz and that, should it be important for you, bypass the Denon and go directly into the TV. You will still be able to get full HD audio back to the Denon via eARC, as you would any audio from the TV's Apps.

Thanks for your info
Why would you not connect the skq box to the tv and earc that back?

Thanks for your info
Why would you not connect the skq box to the tv and earc that back?
Depends on the TV as to how many full fat 4K HDMI ports it has. You'll need at least three full fat ports. One will have to be the eARC connection, the second for the PS5 so you'll need at least another one for the SkyQ if you have the UHD package. It would also be easier to get any lip sync problems sorted out as the lip sync options on the SkyQ will work very well with any connection going through the Denon.

I've not got a PS5 or any gaming console so don't know the current problems with HDMI 2.1 so it's easy for me to run everything through my Denon which is problem free. On the 2.1 issue if your TV doesn't have 2.1 then you could run the PS5 through the Denon as well.

Depends on the TV as to how many full fat 4K HDMI ports it has. You'll need at least three full fat ports. One will have to be the eARC connection, the second for the PS5 so you'll need at least another one for the SkyQ if you have the UHD package. It would also be easier to get any lip sync problems sorted out as the lip sync options on the SkyQ will work very well with any connection going through the Denon.

I've not got a PS5 or any gaming console so don't know the current problems with HDMI 2.1 so it's easy for me to run everything through my Denon which is problem free. On the 2.1 issue if your TV doesn't have 2.1 then you could run the PS5 through the Denon as well.
The tv currently supports all the hdmi connections now and earcs/arcs it back to the Onkyo.
It works well. I dont need any more hdmi ports.
My query was do I just leave it as is, or use the hdmi connections on the new Denon.
And if I did change it, would there be any advantage? (Video above suggestion not)

If you use the TV apps anyway, and have enough HDMI inputs on the TV, then the easiest option would be to connect everything to the TV and use the eARC only - bearing in mind also this is how the family are used to operating it.

But. Using eARC can be problematic with lip sync issues on the external connected devices due to the longer audio signal path required.

Personally I prefer to connect everything up to the AVR, with just one HDMI lead then to the TV. I find this much neater and easier aesthetically as my TV is wall mounted. Then for TV apps only I use the eARC. The only drawback is that if you are using both eARC and direct to AVR connections, the switch between the two can be problematic handshaking wise and due to HDMI CEC . But having said that, I only occasionally need to switch off/on the AVR to reestablish the handshake - a minor annoyance but still the best overall solution for me,

The tv currently supports all the hdmi connections now and earcs/arcs it back to the Onkyo.
It works well. I dont need any more hdmi ports.
My query was do I just leave it as is, or use the hdmi connections on the new Denon.
And if I did change it, would there be any advantage? (Video above suggestion not)
all working well, just leave as it is ... if you want to you can run the non hdmi 2.1 sources eg the sky thing via the AVR... but really no need if all is well. just leave as its is,, sit back and enjoy :)

If you use the TV apps anyway, and have enough HDMI inputs on the TV, then the easiest option would be to connect everything to the TV and use the eARC only - bearing in mind also this is how the family are used to operating it.

But. Using eARC can be problematic with lip sync issues on the external connected devices due to the longer audio signal path required.

Personally I prefer to connect everything up to the AVR, with just one HDMI lead then to the TV. I find this much neater and easier aesthetically as my TV is wall mounted. Then for TV apps only I use the eARC. The only drawback is that if you are using both eARC and direct to AVR connections, the switch between the two can be problematic handshaking wise and due to HDMI CEC . But having said that, I only occasionally need to switch off/on the AVR to reestablish the handshake - a minor annoyance but still the best overall solution for me,
Great response. Thank you.
May I ask of the External devices you have connected to you your amp, how are they displayed on your tv?
Does the tv show them as an app?
And how do you switch to them?

Great response. Thank you.
May I ask of the External devices you have connected to you your amp, how are they displayed on your tv?
Does the tv show them as an app?
And how do you switch to them?
I have a Sky Q box and a Blu ray player connected up via my AVR. Not sure I understand your question as to how they are displayed on the TV? There is no "logo" displayed on the TV OS for them as there is with an app, if that's what you mean?

For switching them I use a Harmony remote, so I have pre set Activities on the remote such as "Watch Sky", "Watch Blu ray", "Watch Netflix App" etc. So everything required is powered on and all inputs /outputs for the AVR and TV are set with one press of the remote.

I have a Sky Q box and a Blu ray player connected up via my AVR. Not sure I understand your question as to how they are displayed on the TV? There is no "logo" displayed on the TV OS for them as there is with an app, if that's what you mean?

For switching them I use a Harmony remote, so I have pre set Activities on the remote such as "Watch Sky", "Watch Blu ray", "Watch Netflix App" etc. So everything required is powered on and all inputs /outputs for the AVR and TV are set with one press of the remote.
Thanks exactly what I meant. So for the famiky if they wanted to watch sky and that sky box was directly connected to my amp, they have to switch it via the amp (or like you via a smart remote)
I think thats answered my question.
I’ll keep as is and go earc 👍🏻

Good Morning,

I’ve slowly been updating my set up, but after a chat with SHMBO I’m getting new Amp - a Denon AVCX3700 and swapping out my old kef eggs.

My TV a Samsung QLED Q90 has a HDMI box separate from the tv. The TV has apps like Disney+ Netflix etc - which get used a lot!
I current have those HDMI slots full and EARC the sound back my soon to be replaced Onkyo 808.
The old AMP doesn’t support the newer Dolby formats, the tv does, but it terms of sound 5.1 wise I think its done very well for past 8 years or so.

2. Push all the HDMI’s into amp and have one hi end cable going into the tv (I’d still have to earc back for any tv apps)

i’m concerned with option 2 - will apps on the tv but treated any different to the external sources?
Ie I’m going to have earc them anyway so what advantage (if or any will hdmi’s being direct through the amp actually have?)

- it just works.
Will anything change via option 2? - as I think the tv would just see the amp as one app not the inputs going to it (skyq ps5)
I think I’ve answered my own question with that statement above, but keen to hear opinions

tia

Al
Good Morning,

- it just works.

tia

Al
All thank you all for your excellent advise.
I have the Denon amp. Its a beauty!

So I went the ARC route with all my gadget EXCEPT the PS5.
The reason for this is the as my TV only supports ARC which means maximum back to the amp is lossy ATMOS. It can’t support Lossless ATMOS only EARC supports this.
So as all the inputs and apps on the tv are all lossy ATMOS they go via ARC.
My PS5 is connected directly to the AMP.
That way any UHD Blu Rays it plays will use lossless ATMOS and the amp will handle that no problemo.
So my answer was

4. all go via ARC except the lossless input (PS5)

Hi,
I also had a similar question, if you could enlighten me.
Sky Q , blu ray player and PS4 all connected to the AMP and one HDMI out to TV. Easy to operate as I watch Netflix and Prime via Sky Q box so no need to mess around.
however, I can’t get sound from the TV when using the Apple TV app on the TV itself.
I guess it gets too messy changing settings in the TV or AMP if I were to start using the earc setup.?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom