1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdmi/dvi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stu mcc, Apr 25, 2005.

1. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Mornin' all,
    Has anyone got direct experience of comparing hdmi or dvi equipped players against your common or garden prog scan machines through a 2 grand or so pj?
    Reason I ask is that my old Toshiba sd520e gives a pretty good picture via component into an rp tv, but when my pj eventually arrives it may be worth going for one of the cheaper hdmi players while the whole blu ray/ hi def situation settles down. I don't know if the length of cables (around 10m) has any bearing on the choice but I'm certain there's at least one wise soul out there who can advise!

Cheers all,
    Stu.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
  3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a Pioneer 868 and Momitsu V880 (original) both capable of outputting 720p to the Sharp Z200E I once had (1024x576). The V880 gave the 868 a good run for its' money, although not as detailed it was still a very watchable picture on a 92" screen, although to be frank that image size is probably a bit larger than the Momitsu is really happy at as the loss of detail is readily apparent when A/B-ing them.

On my H77 (1280x720) when projecting to 69" the difference is quite a bit less noticeable.

If you're not looking to extract the last ounce of PQ otu of your SD collection then I think a cheapy player like the V800, Samsung HD945 (or whatever it is now), the S97 (if that's got DVI/HDMI) would be well worth considering.

As for cable, 10m is getting on the long side, you'll want to stear clear of 'standard' quality cables like those from Lindy, a brand like BetterCables, Molex or QED would be a far better choice, albeit somewhat more expensive.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    My 15m Lindy cable seems to cope comfortably with all resolutions the 745 can throw at it...PJ

5. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks KraGorn, that's the way my mind is working too: PJ which £1000 pj did you have in mind?; :)
    Stu

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're the first person I've seen say that, maybe they improved their quality.

Certainly way back when DVI first appeared on pjs such as the Z2 it was very common to read on here that people with 10m Lindys were suffering the 'sparklies'. My own experience of 1280x720p was that 7.5m was okay but 10m suffered noticeable noise.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Rule of thumb, treat all DVI cables over 5m with suspicion......you were lucky, VERY lucky, others will not be as lucky. Each system is different, this is also bandwidth dependent, although I have seen 25m working, anything over 5m is a lottery and you don't win lotteries very often :)

8. Bogeyed

Bogeyed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    10m Lindy HDMI-HDMI between Momitsu V880 (with DVI-HDMI adaptor) and Sanyo Z3 works like a dream, the improvement in PQ over my previous component input is very noticeable, so give the longer cables a chance,you might just be pleasantly surprised.

9. Bogeyed

Bogeyed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ....................should have also said works fine at all resolutions up to 1080i ,at 720p absolutely fine and matches the native resolution of the Z3 perfectly.

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    works fine in your situation does NOT mean it will work fine in someone elses, EVEN with identical kit.

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hi Stu did you click on the link?
    ...PJ

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Of course this is true.

But Lindy do specifically aim these cables at runs of 10m, 15m and 25m. They say they are designed to cope with these lengths. If it is such a lottery presumably the majority would be returned and they'd tone down their blurb, throw in lots of caveats, or even stop supply. The fact they are still shifting them suggests it's perhaps not such a lottery.

I must admit I was highly dubious about 15m working. Now having tried one myself I suspect there's a fighting chance that these cables will cope with such lengths for many people...PJ

13. Bogeyed

Bogeyed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes of course identical configurations may behave differently but for someone with similar kit it may just persuade them to try these longer cable lengths . Lindy,s tech dept were very forthcoming in answering my initial questions and I can only say I was glad I gave them a try.The type I found to work well was their 10m Premium HDMI at £59, not the most expensive cable on the block either.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Once upon a time I wrote the technical article on these digital interfaces that became the sticky today, long before most people had even heard of these things. I used to receive upto 10 emails a week re these things not working and often had to send out cables for peope to try. Lottery was the correct word. Nowdays cables have improved (I like the Bettecables one best from Joe F) and we are now using HDMI chipsets to drive DVI interfaces as opposed to DVI chipsets driving DVI interfaces. Both of these have improved matters no end but the bottom line is still people should be 'warned' about the potential problems. If it works great :) If it doesn' then I generally get the emails, not you ;)

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Well, certainly I felt very warned before buying mine. Numerous requests about whether anyone had successfully used a 15m DVI length went unanswered. I'm not surprised Kragorn hadn't heard of someone using a 15m cable from Lindy successfully, most reports I read spoke of sparkles at 7.5m with a Lindy cable. No wonder hardly anyone (no-one?) had tried it.

Anyway I forked out £160 on a 745 and a 15m DVI cable. All I'm doing is saying "it works"... on my setup. :)

...PJ

16. Bogeyed

Bogeyed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm........maybe I should play the lottery this week!

17. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Go back to autumn/winter 2003, you'll see several discussions of DVI cables, that's when players like the Z2 and others first appeared and introduced digital connections to the lower-end of the market.

Lindy were often used as a source of cables and that's when problems with the 10m version became apparent, I was one who experienced problems. Obviously, given they're not dirt cheap (and so buying 'on spec' wasn't an option for most) their reputation lead to them being ignored when longer cables were needed.

Maybe that will change now. ;)

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It's probably thanks to pioneers like yourself that things seem to have improved. :smashin:

...PJ :)

19. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi PJ,
    clicked on your link, verrry interesting reading which has made me wonder if it's worth buying anything new just yet - the old what's around the corner syndrome has struck again! Maybe I'll just give up the forums...................

stu