Hdmi / Dvi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by higenbs1, Dec 10, 2003.

1. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Maybe a stupid question, probably covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find another thread.

Is the HDMI output of the latest Pioneer DVD players compatible with, say, the DVI input on the Panasonic AE300?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What DVI? I just sold one of these and there wasn't a DVI input on it. :confused:

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It won't work then, damn this HDMI compatibility thing :)

4. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry, my mistake ... I was thinking DVI-I, for reasons unconnected with the Panny, forgot the 300 has a DVI-D. :blush:

AIUI HDMI will connect to DVI-D and non-protected material should play .. never tried it though.

6. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    What's the difference between DVD-D and DVD-I? Apologies for being a complete novice as regards this.

Also what's non-protected material? Is it something to do with Macrovision?

Is there a good website anyone can recommend explaining the differences/benefits of these?

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Everyone is to begin with .. some of us still are at times. :blush:

This is a good description of DVI/HDCP/HDMI.

DVI interfaces can either be digital-only, DVI-D, or carry both digital and analog, DVI-I, that picture reminded me that the AE300 has a DVI-D connector.

HDCP, High Definition Copy Protection, means that the digital stream has to be decrypted before it can be displayed and a manufacturer needs a license to build equipment to do this.

AIUI, Macrovision protects the analog output from protected material by adding signals that don't affect displays like TVs etc. but do screw-up analog recording equipment.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    DVI I allows analogue and digital connections. The digital bits are on 4 twisted pairs and these sit on all this small pins. The analogue bit sits on the four larger pins that are much larger (to the right of that flat horizontal pin).

DVI I output sockets therefore allow you to plug DVI D cables in with no problem, or those little adaptors that allow normal analogue HD15 style sockets.

DVI D sockets do not allow DVI I cables to be plugged in (because of those extra four analogue pins), at least some have to be ‘pulled’ The do allow DVI D cables to be used. The dongles are dumb devices and are therefore irrelevant here.

I ONLY use DVI D cables for several reasons. 1, I don’t want analogue out of these cables at all! 2, My cables can be used everywhere. 3, The little dongles to get analogue output from DVD I are more than adaquate if you need analogue from a DVD I connector.

The DVI I sounds the best of both worlds but the last thing you need is an analogue signal screwing up the digital one and why use DVI for an analogue signal in the first place!

AV people are interested in a digital connection, therefore I suggest you may well be much better off sticking to DVI D cables.