HDMI / DVI splitter / switch for really old HD LCD :)

chippyteaforme

OK, this is really annoying me.

Fact is, we have a very early, 32" 'HD Ready' LCD TV. I got it ages ago when I worked for Currys, and it went to a stupid clearance price - from being £1199 or so in Jan 2006, to being £197 about 6 months later - so I snapped it up, simply because I also had access to the Sky HD staff package (£99 for the box, HD and Sky+ for 12 months @ 99p p/m).

Anyway, we've *still* got the same set. It's a silver Philips set, and it's been a pain in the arse for years. Doesn't like being turned on - sounds like a relay issue as unless you get a physical 'click' noise, the backlight doesn't turn on. That and it only has a SINGLE digital input - DVI-D - and NO component video.

So, to get HD, I have to use an HDMI > DVI-D block from the Sky box, and the audio from the Sky box using an RCA > 3.5mm jack plug cable into the TV.

Now - I'm at the point where I've already told the old man I'm more than happy to buy a new TV, bracket, home-theatre, e.t.c - but he's convinced there is nothing wrong with the TV and won't let me upgrade! (where's a pulling hair out smiley when you need one?!!!)

Anyway, I'm at the point where I want to add a second HD source to the TV, other than the Sky HD box. As the TV only has a single DVI-D socket, and this currently has an HDMI>DVI-D converter block in it, I'd imagine I'd need either a DVI-D+DVI-D > DVI-D switch / splitter, in which case each input would need an HDMI>DVI-D adapter, -or- an HDMI+HDMI > DVI-D switch / splitter in which case they wouldn't need adapter blocks.

In any case... can someone *please* tell my old man that despite the TV being worth £1199 4 years ago, it's now worthless, and I could make a far easier, better quality (I'm thinking 37" Panny plasma?) setup for say £400 which would save all the f**king around with adapter blocks?!!

Failing that, a recommendation for a splitter / switch for the existing setup would be awesome ;)

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I have a similar 42" Philips with the same DVI port arrangement. It does have component BTW but only by using the same DVI port as one with an adapter. Ridiculous.

Anyway I just started typing up a response about how I have used a HDMI switch with absolutely no issues. I've since upgraded to a 4-2 Matric switch again with no issues. you can either use your existing adapter, an adapter in the DVI port on the TV (this is what I have, it stays in place and essentially give me a HDMI port) or a HDMI-DVI cable

I then noticed 1 major difference between our setups. I don't actually use the TVs speakers so I have no issues around audio. All of sources go directly to my amp for sound. So this wont work for you unless you have an amp or surround system you use for all TV watching.

You can get HDMI switched that also switch RCA stereo audio or a seperate stereo RCA switcher. I'm afraid I can't recommend a HDMI switch with stereo audio switching as I only have limited internet access at work, although I'm sure other people can provide a link.

If you do have another way of playing audio i.e. an amp or surround system then just a straight forward HDMI switch will do the job. Available in lots of places, from Ebay, Amazon to Asda, ranging from less than £20 up to several hundred for flash ones.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If your Display is HD Ready it must work with Analogue Component video - as JimBobVFR400 points out an adapter is available for use with the DVI Input for that purpose.

There is no reason to assume the TV is worthless - I'd suggest having a good look at the image quality you can achieve on a current display before you decide to ditch the 'old' display.

A 3x1 HDMI + Stereo audio switch will cost you around 120.00 GBP - 3x1 HDMI switch with L/R Stereo Audio routing. Version 1.3, 1080P. Route HDMI video and L/R Stereo Audio to HDTV.

Joe

chippyteaforme

There is no reason to assume the TV is worthless - I'd suggest having a good look at the image quality you can achieve on a current display before you decide to ditch the 'old' display.

Admittedly the still images I can get from 1080i are fantastic on this panel, and I've got it set up how I like it (turned off all the dynamic contrast, noise reduction, e.t.c.) - it's certainly not a 'bad' picture, but the screen has on area which isn't evenly lit (looks like the screen or the backlight diffuser is 'bent' at one part). Plus it's appalling with any standard-definition input, and I'm pretty sure it's not an <=8ms response time (I think it's 16ms, could be wrong!). On SD broadcasts, dark colours especially blacks, smear all over the place and leave trails. On HD, as soon as there is motion (like a camera panning in say a football match), ALL detail is lost, everything becomes a blur.

Ta for that, I assume that's the route I'd need to take, as this TV has no external amp (it's running internal speakers, using a 2xRCA > 1x3.5mm cable).

I have a similar 42" Philips with the same DVI port arrangement. It does have component BTW but only by using the same DVI port as one with an adapter. Ridiculous.

'tis. At the time, I wasn't too bothered as I only had the one HD source (Sky HD), and admittedly the TV cost bugger all at the time, but if I'd paid the full £1199 and been left in this situation, I'd be much more annoyed :D

You can get HDMI switched that also switch RCA stereo audio or a seperate stereo RCA switcher. I'm afraid I can't recommend a HDMI switch with stereo audio switching as I only have limited internet access at work, although I'm sure other people can provide a link.

If you do have another way of playing audio i.e. an amp or surround system then just a straight forward HDMI switch will do the job. Available in lots of places, from Ebay, Amazon to Asda, ranging from less than £20 up to several hundred for flash ones.

If I were going to keep the TV I'd probably end up going the 'video-only' HDMI switch route, and then adding a surround kit, assuming you can get cheap wireless rear speakers which sound good :)

Ta for the advice chaps... still not 100% sure of what to do but at least I know how much it's going to cost to make the existing set work more effectively :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom