HDMI / DVI question.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Canoehq, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    A theoretical question for now, as the new Oppo player isn't out yet.

But if I needed to connect an HDMI output of the player to a DVI input in my scaler (Lumagen HDP) to pass a digital 480i/576i to the scaler. how would I do it please ?

Only asking, because I read somewhere that DVI would not carry 480i/ 576i very well, if at all..........or am I being told porkies ?

Thanks for any help with this.

2. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The issue here is that 480i or 576i aren't modes specified by the DVI standard. Only 480p and 576p. So a particular DVI hardware does not guarantee support for the 480i/576i, but it doesn't mean it doesn't. You'll have to check your lumagen manual.

Also, HDMI can transport both YPrPb and RGB colorspace, while DVI was specified only to transport RGB.

Technically however, apart the 8 bits limitation, the DVI could do whatever HDMI does at video level, it's just a matter of the original defined standard.

3. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Thanks very much for the help. Sounds like I'll just have to give it a go and hope for the best !:)

I'll also have to dig out that Lumagen manual......unless there are some Lumagen people out there who could kindly help ?

Thanks

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Canoehq, there's nothing to worry about, this has been clarified by Partick Harkin from Lumagen on the AVS site. Although DVI is only specified for progressive 8 bit RGB, Lumagen's implementation actually accepts progressive and interlaced, RGB and YCbCr, 4:4:4 and 4:2:2, AND even 10 bit with YCbCr 4:2:2 as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=602397&page=3&pp=30

"Krobar- we cancurrently take 10 bit in on DVI but you have to set the HDMI device to output such a format. We don't know of a way to trick an HDMI device into doing this automatically when connected to a DVI input.

Allan- Yes it switches automatically between per-pixel and inverse-telecine. We didn't add the other combinations to create multiple auto modes.

5. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Again, thank you. That's all perfectly clear now. :thumbsup:

6. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Canoe

Just a quick one , does the new oppo have HDMI output? only ask as the 971H is DVI output however all other statements hold true

regards

7. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I've exchanged emails with the company about this.

Yes, the new Oppo (970) will have HDMI out only, no DVI.

Also, all resolutions output via HDMI will be HDCP protected. I say this only because there had been comments over on AVS that as 480i/576i are not HD resolutions, there was a chance they might be free of HDCP. That is not the case from what I have been told.

However, also told the Mediatek chip in the new 970 can easily be 'persuaded' to remove any HDCP also.

HTH