HDMI-DVI or Component

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by TommyT, Mar 21, 2006.

1. TommyT

TommyT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All.

probably been asked before somewhere but searching for component brings up quite a bit :)

Anyway,
    Just had TVDrive installed and have it through an HDMI cable with a DVI end at my TV, so hence no sounds. That is not a problem as I send sound via optical lead from TV Drive to my amp and get some sound out of the speakers. So all is good.

BUT

I have just thought. If I record then I will get no sound I assume?...is this correct?

I do have component cables (which i wanted to keep for my DVDRecorder to be linked to the TV). I would then use a couple of audio cables to the stereo in on the TV, which i would assume will work as normal.

I really want to ask...is component inferior to the HDMI/DVI connection?..or much the same?
    Also, are my thoughts on the no sound correct or is the sound recorded in the box so to speak?

So, am I correct in thinking it (HDMI/DVI) will not record sound, so that if I play it back i will be left with pictures and no sound...(that would be annoying)

Any advice is helpful.

thanks,
    Tommy

2. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    The box does not record what is being sent to the telly, it records what is going on inside the box (if that makes sense???) so your recordings will be fine!

3. The Atheist

The Atheist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    I take it ur trying to figure out how to record HD broadcasts onto DVD via your DVD recorder?

Does ur DVD Recorder have a digital audio input (optical or coaxial)? How many digital audio outputs (optical or coaxial) does the TVDrive have?

There are a couple of different setups you can use (or at least what i assume would work!):

1. Connect the TVDrive via HDMI to ur DVD recorder (assuming it has an HDMI input, if not then via component and optical) then send video from the DVD recorder to the display (either component, HDMI or DVI) and audio to your amp (optical).

2. Connect TVDrive to display via HDMI/DVI and optical to amp. Also connect DVD Recorder to TVDrive with an extra HDMI cable (or component and optical if recorder doesn't have HDMI input)

As for which vdeo connection gives the best performace then it can depend. Often people prefer component over HDMI/DVI but its usually down to personal taste. Try both and see which you think works best. Technically HDMI and DVI are better than component because they don't convert the digital signal to analogue, which component does.

4. TommyT

TommyT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Both suggestions helped guys.

Thanks,
    I tried it..and it works ok...when i thought about it, it does record "inside the box" as it can record two things at once while watching another...so pretty obvious now how the sound woudl be.

As for the recording from the box to the DVD recorder...I will use the component method and try and get as good a quality as can (HDMI not available on DVD Recorder) and also use stereo inputs as i dont think the optical/coaxial is an input on the dvd..maybe just an utput...will check it out.

So thanks again :)

Tommy

5. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Tommy, the whole point of HDMI is copyright protection, so you will be unable to record the "digital" signal direct, it would be best to connect your TV Drive and DVD recorder via the SCART output set to RGB, this will provide good quality recordings, I might be wrong but I can't think of any DVD recorder which has Component Video inputs.

6. TommyT

TommyT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

and the key word is input..doh..of course...mine has outputs...lol..what was i thinking?

Have a decent quality scart so will use that

Thanks for advise...:)

Tommy